Any aviation buffs out there?

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 10:30 am

Hi,

Having flown small planes myself in my life time, and growing up around them all my life, having an uncle who was a test pilot for Boeing and so on, I’m always interested in these crashes that happen. Almost all boil down to pilot error. This latest crash back east, and the preliminary findings so far, indicated that the co-pilot declared ‘rotation’ at the very end of the runway, or shortly after it left it. The plane did go airborne. All planes have a minumum takeoff speed, determined by the builder, where it will safely take off. Now, obviously, it’s too early to determine as far as what is fact, but when rotation speed is reached, most all planes, if so needed, can climb instantly at about 20 degrees angle or so. I’m not familiar with this type of jet, but the pilot kept his angle at no more then 9 degrees hitting a bunch of trees and then everything hit the fan. That would indicate that the pilot needed more speed I’d assume. I’m just throwing this out here, because the focus is on the runway length as the evil do’er. Having many discussions over the years about incidences my uncle had that never made the paper, while testing 747’s, he told me of an account where something happened, and they had to stuff it on a 3500 foot runway, with about an inch to spare of coarse, then after fixed, they flew it out of there. So, at the moment, I’m not buying the too short of a runway excuse that’s getting all the play. What say you? Anyone? Should be interesting what the final determination will come out to be. A series of unfortunate events by everyone involved is the overall one, but could, or will it be put squarely on something?

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Dear Marc:

The speed at which any aircraft can take of and climb has quite a bit to do with the apparent altitude of the runway. Things which can affect apparent altitude are heat, humidity, barometric pressure and the true altitude of the runway. On a hot and muggy August Kentucky day, the engines of an aircraft perform poorly, the air is harder to push through, and the lift over the wings is diminished. With all of that and the pilot taking off from a 3,500 foot runway, instead of the usual 5,000 foot runway, the combined weight of all the negative factors were just enough to cause a disaster. The pilot almost made it, which is a testament to his skill, but turning onto the wrong runway was too much to overcome with the poor flight conditions he had.

Lee

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 5:05 pm

Hi Lee,

Yes, you are right. However, that’s precisly why the builder has a minimum take off speed that is required for all kinds of conditions and weather. The plane takes off after said speed is reached or better, no matter what conditions are. It’s rated at 180mph for rotation, as an example, you de-ice the plane wings, and take off at 180mph or better. Each plane that leaves the Denver airport, at a mile up, also takes off from Sea-Tac airport at the same speed, even though it’s 3000 feet lower. We’d have crashes everyday if it was up to a pilot to determine conditions and the speed they need to take off with, because it would involve every single takeoff and landing proceedure. Agin, the builder of planes took those decisions away from pilots right after Wilbur hit the sand.
      It would be more likely to presume that the pilot who assumed he had 5000 feet to work with, took his time before punching it, eating up runway.
      Length of an airstrip is more for saftey and ground traffic and not scaring the hell out of passengers and pilots to boot. Airstrips are rated by weight for the most part. You have a 747 pounding on a airstrip that hasn’t been designed for it to handle the weight of big aircraft, you’ll have holes, bumps, woop-de-dos and all sorts of irregular pavement in a big hurry. Any STOL aircraft, like a C-130, can get off the ground in 1100 feet, but if it’s too heavy for the strip, it doesn’t matter how long or short it is.
      I agree, it’s usually a combo of things.

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 10:52 am

Dear Marc:

I just read that a construstion project on a taxiway altered the normal taxi route of the aircraft. I think the pilot actually thought he had the whole 5,000 feet. He could have gotten the plane in the air in 3,500 feet if he knew that was what he was working with. Taxiing a plane around a big airport is pretty confusing anyway. It is such a wide open space with very little in the way of landmarks. Add the confusion of a detour, and suddenly it looks like all the blame doesn’t go to the pilot, although he is ultimately responsible for te safety of the aircraft by virtue of the job description. Darwin’s theory of evolution is a cruel fact of life for pilots. One little mistake and you are through.

Lee

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 1:32 pm

Hi Lee,

First, in case you haven’t felt the love lately, I still do carry a great deal of respect for the person. You. You had me in the beginning when you made reference to a certain person I think…was Orca Winfry. 🙂
      As I said above, thinking you have more runway then there is, certainly could have happened. Opps!
      An example, that I’ve experianced flying commercial many times, I’ll use two airfields to illistrate. Reno and San Diego. When the wind is blowing in a certain direction, that determines which direction the tower says to take off. Any flying machine is perfectly capable of taking off, in any direction, no matter what the winds doing. By design. The added air speed over the wings by shear direction, adds to lift, making it safer and not so much runway to use, should emergency conditions arise. When taking off out of Reno, and the wind is in a certain direction, you take off heading straight for a mountain down stream. They need to get altitude in a hurry for obvious reasons. Some may have noticed that when the jet is turning onto the runway, the pilot is starting to give throttle before they have straightened up to align with it. As opposed to getting all lined up, then stopping, then punching it. This is a pilot’s choice, because most will take any doubt, as much as they can control, that there will be no issue with that mountain. Leaving 1500 feet of unused runway behind them. Or more. Same in S.D, where buildings are at one end. They can use every bit of runway and still comfortably clear any obstacul if they choose, but one hic-up from an enjine, might make things a bit uncomfortable. Sea-Tac airport is 11,000 feet long, and agin, if something mechanical happens, they have room to brake, abort takeoff or whatever. Hopefully. Sea-Tac, 200 yards past the end of their runways in one direction, south, is nothing but fuel storage tanks, and beside that, a golf coarse. When landing in that direction, from my buddy who is a captain for Alaska, some pilots made a choice to land short, cut accross mid field, to get to the terminal, and take out any doubt. And, because they can without stressing equipment. This was many years ago, but the pilots had a meeting, and were told to take a bit more runway weather they needed it or not. Seems a few were being a bit too cautious, and after a few planes clipped and broke off the last 3 to 6 lights that go over a freeway directing them to the very start of the runway, with the body of the plane under the tail(angle of attack), landing in front of the numbers, was a bit much.
      In this case, from what I heard, the tower instructed the pilot to turn left and proceed with takeoff. This is why conversations with the person in the tower are being done right now. The pilot made a ‘hard’ left because visually that’s all he saw and did as intructed. Had a clear runway with no signs or visuals of being anywhere but where he should be, he took off. The tower guy forgot to give the pilot the rest of his choices though, which was the other left turn, and from my own conversations I’ve had with tower personal, that comes in the form of degrees. Like take the next 45 degree left onto runway such and such. If the pilot saw the left turn visually, and had to make a 90 degree turn to get to it, he would have hesitated and asked the tower for clarifacation. Agin, opps. So, being the good pilot they were, wanting to give passengers a nice smooth easy takeoff, he lollygagged down the runway slowly accellerating, then added the power needed for liftoff. Thinking no sweat, we’ve got plenty of runway to work with. I’ll assume, that about halfway down that runway, the pilot and co-pilot were starting to get vissually confused and not recognising land marks they usually saw, or were starting to question things, then things started to escalate in a hurry. In most situations that pilots incure, adding maximum power is the only choice to have a chance for recovery. Although rotation was declared and they got airborne, knowing that the pilot’s eyes were straight out the front window at this point, not even looking at instruments for obvious reasons, he thought keeping the angle of attack at a lower angle, to make darn sure airspeed wouldn’t be lost, thus clipping the tress and so on was what happened there. Will be interesting to hear the black box tapes. I only say pilot error, because even though a series of events happened, as you say, he is the captain, and everybody needs a sure thing to blame.

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 2:00 pm

Dear Marc:

In aviation, just like in politics, there is one sure fire way to save your bacon, “Blame it on the dead guy”. One of my summer jobs while I was in Aviation maintenance school was to salvage crashed aircraft for the insurance companies. I would often meet the NTSB investigators finishing up their work and I always asked what they thought the cause of the crash was. They invariably said something like, “In my opinion, that sorry son-of-a-bitch pilot took off without (fill in enough fuel, checking the weather report, an update map, a 100 hour check-up, his insulin, here) But that is just my opinion, and we won’t know the true cause until the politicking is finished.”

I guarentee that someone will get blamed, probably the dead guy, and the FAA guy at the airport who okayed the runway construction project won’t get blamed. Actually they blame everyone, and see where it sticks, whether their conclusions will save lives or not.

Lee

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 3:20 pm

Hi,

As is the norm in America today, the bottom line is, get blamed established, because my lawyer wants to file my lawsuit, and get on to other matters while waiting for it to traverse through the system.

On a side note with aviation. My son-in-law’s sister is a corprate pilot, for sometime now. She flys a Citation 10. I’ve known her for years, and often talked aviation with her. Still trying to get her to take me for a spin around a flight pattern, when she brings her boss into town from Arizona. Yea, yea, I know she can’t, but she did say, if in town, I’ll call you, and you can come down and view the plane in person. Good enough for me. Anyway, if you were to picture the sterotypical dumb blond look, you just described her, and if you talked to her briefly, it would reinforce that thought even more. She’s only 26 now. About 8 years ago, she was an instuctor working at a small airport in Auburn up here. Didn’t even have a manned tower. People would sign up for lessons via phone at headquarters, then meet her for the first time at the airport for a lesson. She litterally had several customers over the years, refuse to fly with her, ask for a man instructor, and in no way am I going to fly with a dumb blond chick. She got over it. Looks are everything I guess. She just made the cover of some aviation mag telling about women in aviation. Ahhh, the preceptions.

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 5:52 pm

i think the faa is to blame for this one, mark. they failed to man that airport with enough people, per their own rules i do believe. its such a shame that soo many people had to pay the price for their dumb mistake.:mad: