Aman GBS at 71!

• March 2, 2018 at 2:42 pm

While on vacation in Spain this past September my legs suddenly collapsed. I was rushed to a local hospital where I was diagnosed with GBS by a neurologist on duty. He started me on IVIG that evening. No, spinal tap or EMG was performed. I lost the use of my lower arms and hands within a few days. My breathing was normal and has stayed that way. After 2 weeks in ICU,(with great attention to my condition and no charges!) I returned to the US to my local hospital. They didn’t believe the Spanish diagnosis and ran up $78,000 in medical bills for 3 days in ICU before shipping me off to a rehab center for 20 days then told me to go home.
      My insurance carrier, Kaiser, would not give me PT or OT. As of Jan. 1, 2018 I was able to switch insurance and begin therapy. At 5 months I can now use my right arm and move my right leg. I am wondering if anyone close to my age can give me some encouragement and what I can expect?
      Kaiser is great if you have little illnesses; if you get something bad lookout!

• March 2, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Welcome Fred, please join the conversation here:

Axonal Guillan Barre (AMAN)