Alcohol and CIDP

• September 30, 2018 at 3:28 am

So sorry to post on your site again not even knowing what my problem is, but would like to ask a question about alcohol… more specifically beer.

I’ve stop drinking over the time my problems have become worst as I just felt it tired my out and made my muscles weak.

On Friday we had a leaving do at work and I did have on pint of bitter. Over this weekend, I’ve felt so washed out and weak like it affected every muscle… does anyone else recognise this of part of CIDP at all ?…

• B
      October 4, 2018 at 12:17 am

The worse flare I have had since being diagnosed corresponded with a vacation week where I consumed more alcohol than I had been previously to that week (2 glasses of wine in one evening at the max). I had already reduced consumption because increasingly smaller amounts of alcohol were causing me increasingly prominent GI issues (inflammatory response?). I’m now to the point that an ounce or two of wine causes me issues, and I suspect wine played a part in that bad flare, so I’m off the sauce unfortunately.

• October 4, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Thats interesting, thanks for your post… it’s like it just makes me tired and my muscles washed out?.. looks like you are the same… Not that I miss beer that much, but why would it be a CIDP thing.. is it the alcohol that gets in your blood stream and makes everything weak?…

• B
      October 4, 2018 at 10:54 pm

I don’t know. My theory is that it contributes to inflammation in my body.

• GH
      October 4, 2018 at 11:23 pm

It is always a good idea to consume alcohol only moderately, if at all. When one is fighting CIDP or in recovery, one has no strength to spare. I did drink again when I got out of the hospital, but it didn’t help my recovery. I don’t think it actually hurt in a way directly related to CIDP, but its normal effect is contrary to what you need to be doing. I recommend being very conservative.

• October 5, 2018 at 1:51 pm

agreed, lets face it, you are putting fluid into your body that it does not want… and has to spend time and effort getting it out… if you are weak already, I don’t suppose this helps… but feeling so down after 1 pint?… what next 🙁