afraid

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I Have 3 Weeks W/ My Outpatient Pt; And Some Times I Feel Chills Or Pain And I Get Scared If Is Not A Relap. Can Somebody Tell Me If Is Posible To Have A Gbs Again, Or What Can I Do To Prevent It? Thanks. (1st Time In The Forum)

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Herbert,

Sorry you’re so scared. Are you taking Neurontin or Lyrica for pain? If so, how much? These two meds are both great for nerve pain. I understand your fear of a relapse. I’m the fiance to a GBSer of two-and-a-half years, and three weeks ago he ended up back in the hospital with spasms and tingling toes. I was on my cell phone for half an hour yelling at the on-call neurologist for not understanding what we were going through and for not working faster to get Ben some pain meds. By the end of the phone call, Ben had some meds coming his way. At any rate, I don’t think you ever get over the fear, but relapses are pretty rare with GBS. I think it’s only a 3% chance of it happening again.

Good luck and best wishes to you in your recovery!

Shannon

• July 16, 2007 at 8:27 pm

welcome to the forum…this group is very friendly and very helpful

I completely understand your fears. I deal with it a lot and am slowly convincing myself to think happy thoughts. The people here helped me see that focusing on a relapse and my intense fears did not help with recovery and healing. It is a very small chance of a relapse…my hubby explained it as 1 in a couple of million or something like that. Not sure if that is correct, but it helps to think of that instead of the negative side of things.

When did you get GBS?

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 8:32 pm

I Forgot: I Was In Emg Room 5/6, Same Day In Icu And Thanks God Same Day W/ivig

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Hi Herbert, Welcome to the Family. It is possible to get gbs more then once, and there is no for sure way to prevent another attack. Keep a positive attitude, don’t worry about another attack, take care of yourself and live your life to the fullest. It is important that you don’t over do things, take things slowly, learn the limits your body can do well with without too much pain and rest alot in between activities. Ask as many questions as you have or vent when you need to. Take care.