A time of testing

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Tom started having medical struggles that were not a big deal at first. But apparently it was a big deal to his coworkers because he heard many comments made to his face, behind his back when they thought he wasn’t there and even had a blog written about him. Since arriving here, he has had 4 knee surgeries (he is now in a permanent knee brace to preserve his knee because his next surgery is total knee replacement), sinus surgery, and a cyst removed from his wrist. In 2004, he also injured his back and hasn’t been the same since. For four years, he has been put on motrin and tylenol, given physical therapy and sent back up to fly, time after time, even though his pain was so bad.
      Now we are faced with the diagnosis of CIDP (chronic inflammatory demylenating polyneuropathy—it’s like Multiple Sclerosis of the legs), an autoimmune disease, which if untreated could eventually lead to life in a wheelchair, but we’re grateful it was found. What that means is for the last 8 months of this life, Tom has had weakness, numbness and tingling as well as burning down his legs. He has had muscle wasting and has no reflexes in his left leg. At the end of a normal day for you and I, Tom feels like he just worked out at the gym for hours. It was not a diagnosis we were expecting but we serve a God who we know and trust has a perfect plan for our lives, this included. The treatment for this disease is steroids for a few months with about an 80% success rate of putting it in remission.

cut and paste the following link for the entire article:
      http://ruthscorner.blogspot.com/2008/09/time-of-testing.html”

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Sorry to hear that Tom is having so much trouble. I was dx with CIDP in NOV 2007 and it totally has turned my life upside down. I went from independent to totaly dependent on my husband 24/7. I use a walker and still can not drive.
      This forum and belief in God is what has continued to give me the strenght to keep trying.
      Keep us posted on how you are doing.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Hi-sounds like Tom is going through a lot. You mentioned a lot of tests-like spinal tap, EMG, MRI of the brain, lots of blood work to rule out other things? Is Tom seeing a neurologist? Is he on anything else for his CIDP except prenisone? Like ivig, immunosuppressants, neurontin or lyrica for the nerve pain, Cymbalta for the leg pain-also an antidepressant? Is he a pilot? Good luck on your journey……..keep in touch….sincere best wishes…..Emma

PS His coworkers sound like losers…….how rude and insensitive….