A pregabalin/lyrica question.

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2006 at 4:20 pm

I have already posted this on the general forum but thought it worth posting here on the CIDP section.

I’m asking this on behalf of a CIDP sufferer who has had loads of pain management problems. He has been suddenly switched from amitriptyline + co-codamol to pregabalin/lyrica starting at 3 x 50mg pd.

How is that for a starting dose? What is the relative strength of pregabalin/lyrica to gabapentin/neurontin? What strengths do sufferers go up to?

Hoping for answers from those with relevant experience.:p

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2006 at 6:29 pm

Hi Ken,
      my husband is on pregabalin since 3 months now, he started with 150 mg twice a day , after 2 weeks he went up to 300mg twice a day , now he’s on 300mg 3X a day, the max dose they say is 600mg in two or three doses. He was on gabapentin before pregabalin but no good results.
      What is intriguing me is why they took out the amitriptyline and the opioid and replace it with pregabalin, they are all pain killers but each of them works in different ways, Val ( my husband) is on Oxycontin and tramadol sometime , he use to take amitriptyline but now they’ve replaced it with duloxetin/cymbalta, he is still struggling with the pain but he’s a bit better with all of them together. I know, they are so many, I often tell him that so many painkillers would put a horse to sleep.
      Hope is going to be of any help for your friend, if you need more info , don’t hesitate to ask me.

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2007 at 9:21 am

I, too, am surprised about the sudden switch of pain meds. I certainly wouldn’t want to do it myself. I’ve taken lyrica (now on 150 mg 2x/day) for one and a half years now and find that it’s much better than neurontin for me (was on 1800 mg neurontin 3 times a day). The break-through pain (as I call it) before the next dose is pretty much non-existent which I had lots of problems with while taking neurontin. Good luck!:)

A pregabalin/lyrica question.

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2006 at 4:17 pm

I’m asking this on behalf of a CIDP sufferer who has had loads of pain management problems. He has been suddenly switched from amitriptyline + co-codamol to pregabalin/lyrica starting at 3 x 50mg pd.

How is that for a starting dose? What is the relative strength of pregabalin/lyrica to gabapentin/neurontin? What strengths do sufferers go up to?

Hoping for answers from those with relevant experience.:confused:

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2006 at 5:37 pm

Ken I take Lyrica for the pain from my nerve biopsy. I take now 75mg in morning 75mg in afternoon and 150mg at bedtime. Originaly it was 150mg in AM and 150mg at bedtime but the morning dose was to strong it made me sleepy. If your friend has a lot of pain 3x50mg to me is not alot. My Dr did work me up to that dose so within a few weeks I was at the dose of 300mg per day total.

Sue

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2006 at 9:28 pm

Ken I am now on Lyrica, used to be on Neurontin. Started at 3600 mg/day Neurontin ended at 1800 mg/day before I was switched to 600 mg/day of Lyrica. I take 200 am, 200 pm and 200 at bedtime. Lyrica has done more for me then Neurontin did even at the largest dose, and as a bonus it doesn’t make me as sleepy as Neurontin did.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2006 at 10:01 pm

Ken,

I take Lyrica and started at 150mg morning and 150mg at night. This is the dose I still take but starting that high made me feel really funny for a few days until I got used to it.

Debbie

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2006 at 4:12 am

I am on 600 mg per day which is the maximum dose aloud in England to be honest all they have done for me is make me put weight on and i still have pain i am also on tramadoll 200 mg pd and nortriptoline 30 mg per day and also Carbanazapine 30mg in the morning and 30 mg at night and this is just the pain management side of things.

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2006 at 5:00 am

Darren,

I too put on about 6kg in weight. Bummer but the pain has eased a lot.

Debbie