A messed up knee…massive swelling

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I have fallen so many times in the passed few months that I lost count.
      Same ol’ thing. I catch my left toe and down I’ll go, smack onto my right knee.

The knee is super swollen now…hurts when touched in certain areas and has started kind of “clicking” when I walk. The pain is not excruciating. No matter how many ibuprofens or how long I ice…the swelling continues to be rather massive. I have like a roll of fat over my knee.

I went to my Primary DR yesterday and he took a look at it for the second time in 6 mos. He says it’s a strain and to take ibuprofen and start some physical therapy to build muscle groups…and to wear the AFO.

The reason I fall is b/c I wasnt using my cane…but now I do…all the time.

The Dr said he didnt feel an MRI was warranted at this time.
      I do think I need further testing…this thing is VERY swollen and tight. When I swim, it really feels tight.

I remember someone on here having knee issues but didnt feel the pain so they didnt know it or something…curious to find who that was.

While at the Dr, I asked him to do Connor’s reflexes and he was able to get the left knee once. He thinks Connor doesnt allow it or some garbage he said. Voluntarily resisting. Getting that reflex made me feel so much better…but he said to still see the Neuro and not really worry.

you know me…and I’m worried but ok.

Just wanted some thoughts on this knee business of mine.

Hope everyone is feeling good today,
      As for me, I’m exhausted and ready for a nap. IF only I could….

Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Stacey,

You know in your gut how you feel…if you feel that something is not right with the knee go to the hospital and get an xray.

It is better to be safe than sorry, hope things get better soon.

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Stacey, I agree with Rhonda. Go to the emergency room-at least they should get an x-ray. It may be just a strain, but get your answers that will make your gut feel better. I know that cane is ugly and you don’t like using it, but it really helps you; you said so yourself. Get to ER and remember your cane.:D I know you have a lot of worries, but you take care of you. Sending you a big hug, and continue to pray for all of your family. Take care.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm

For some reason God woke me up continually last night and told me to pray for you and for Connor. Everytime he woke me up I prayed until I fell back to sleep. Maybe there is a battle going on and the good side is going to win if prayers are said. Please know you are covered and keep us posted on Connor. Also, I agree about the x-ray. What do you have to lose. Better safe than sorry.

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Stacey,

remember to care for the knee. Elevate for the swelling, and stay off it for a bit. Cold for the first 24 hours then warm after that.

It is so hard to guess how bad the injury might be. If you go to the Dr, and it is nothing, you feel bad, and if you don’t go, and it doesn’t get better, you end up hurting even more. Tough call. The big thing is to get the swelling down.

As far as a lack of sensory response (NUMBNESS) and pain, I think you can easily have both in the same place. My feet are basically numb, but they really hurt. It’s like I cannot feel anything they touch, or wear, but when I cramp, the muscles really hurt, just like before. The tendonitis really hurts when I stiffen up. And sometimes it is like the bones themselves hurt. All the while, my feet are numb. I can step on a thumbtack, drive it in, and only know because I hear a click on the floor when I walk (True story)

But one thing I do know, if pain persists, something is wrong.

Good luck
      Dick S

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2009 at 6:13 am

frozen peas are the best for icing down knees – they bend to the shape, get 2 packs so one is always in the freezer

also the clicking could be a bone chip – my husband had that happen and they had to go in arthroscopically and take the chip out – sounds similar to what you are going through

with my new AFOs I rarely have to use the cane anymore Stacey – I have much better balance and they look just like tennis shoes – can’t even see the metal with pants on. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2009 at 7:52 am

ER is a good idea, I wonder if I can con them into an MRI. I know that is expensive…but wouldnt surgery cost more .

Last evening, we got to Connor’s baseball game only to find it had been cancelled. We’ve had 100 degree heat with 108-120 heat index so it’s been way too hot to do anything outside. Yesterday it rained for a bit and just enough to really soak the baseball fields. It rained the night before, too…real hard. The sun was out tho quickly after the rain and it was plenty hot…nobody knew the games were cancelled until we got there.

It all worked out b/c I was able to go home, get some things done and rest at 7p for the night ! I took two naproxens and the bag of ice. The swelling is down this morning for the first time but still not gone. I wish I could take a picture of this.

I go to the Pain mgnt dr on Monday and I know if I asked him to order an MRI, he most likely will.

I’ll give it today and then I could always head to an urgent care for an Xray…cheaper co-pay.
      I remember someone posting about a torn ligament or meniscus and said they had no pain b/c of the nerve damage. I know the way we feel and dont feel is so strange. Like when I have an itch on my foot…if I scratch it..I cant feel it, nor can I relieve the itch…but why can I feel the itch ? My hubby thinks that so strange.
      I cant feel hot water on my feet but usually I can tell if the cement is hot.

I do use my cane at all times now…ever since I fell that morning in the Hyvee convenient store. That fall I’m afraid put this knee over the edge. My fault…all mine. Vanity is a terrible thing.

Here I sit at work…it’s hot in here already, with it up on my computer tower…looking ever so professional. :p The ice helps cool me off in this overheated place.

Selah’s Mom…I cant thank you enough for the prayers….you are a very special lady…

Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2009 at 8:53 am

Hi Stacey! I agree with everyone else about getting an XRay! I was watching the news last night and saw the temps across the US when they showed the National Weather. It’s been hot here also but has not reached that temperature yet! We are getting the high 90’s. But that same heat wave is headed our way! LOL!

Do me a favor! Go outside and take a big puff and blow that hot weather to Canada! LOL! I won’t mind!:D ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
      I am not a heat tolerant person! I can’t wait to see the fall get here! I love the fall and spring. Cold winter and hot summers drag me down!

Hope you feel better soon! I too am thinking about Conner at night. I just don’t want to see another child with CIDP or GBS! I want to see my children healthy. But I know two of mine have problems like me. Not as bad as me because I caught them in time but you always have that fear they end up like you!

I cried and blamed myself when my daughter too got diagnosed with Lupus. But her’s so far has not been as bad as mine. Maybe because we caught it early and knew what to test for! But being a mother! You still worry! I will keep Conner in my heart and prayers and hope this is just something very minor that can be treated. Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Get It looked at by an ortho Stacey! I do know what you are feeling and not feeling-been through it and going through it. My fall earlier this month still has my ankles and knee messed up-monday I get eval’d for afos. My right knee has had 2 surgs since 04 and 1 on my left. No pain does not mean everything is ok, swelling is a sign of injury in the knee. Clicking can either be from a bone chip, torn cartilage flicking each other-two sides rubbing off each side and making a noise, ligament snapping or bone hitting bone, during the joint movement. You could let it go-but it will catch up to you just in time for you to go to Disney World. If thats not enough of a shove to get it looked at- just let me know I’ll give you some more shoves!;)
      My knee didn’t feel painful but was swollen in less then 5 mins just from running on a track at cosi back in dec 03. I went through alot of conventional treatments before surgery in june 04. I was the one who thought no pain meant nothing serious was going on, after all I was still able to work right-wrong!! It wasn’t right until my 05 surg made it right again-that was until this month when I fell and landed on it:mad:
      Don’t put it off for too long-you never know what damage is occurring in the joint until its way too late. and you need to leave time to recover fully before your trip this late summer. Take care.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I have an appt with an ORTHO on Wed.

I’d say, why me…but I and all of you that know how I am, know WHY.
      Stubborn !!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the weekend. It’s our last baseball game of the season for Connor. We’re doing a pizza party afterwards and I’m taking water balloons to the game so the kids can give one last throw to the coaches.
      I thought that was a great idea. ๐Ÿ˜€ And, the coaches agreed.
      They will act surprised and the kids dont know it yet, either. I had to tell the coaches b/c they’ll be very wet and we’re going to the pizza place after,,,it’s only fair.

My knee hurts worse every day. Maybe b/c I’m thinkin’ about it. Still not excruciating but certainly noticable.

I cant have surgery….no no no no no. nada. Not really an option for me at this point in my life.

We’ll hope for the best on this one,eh ?

have a great weekend everyone.
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 27, 2009 at 5:24 am

I hope that you do not blame yourself for this injury because of not using a cane. It is good to learn from our experiences and a cane would definitely help prevent falls, but what I hear from you all the time is that you are doing the best you can in a tough situation. I think a lot of us do not like using a cane not really so much because of “vanity”, but rather rebellion/anger at this illness that we are not going to let it take over and control our lives nor let others see “disability” before seeing “ability”. It feels to me more like a struggle to remain in control of our lives than so much how we looked.

I work with children with cancer. Lots of the most beautiful faces I have ever seen are on children with little hair so it has not ever logically felt like hair was important. Years ago, I was told that I had cancer. thank God, that was not true, but I was stunned when preparing for a trip down chemotherapy lane that I cared so much about the fact I would lose my hair, until I realized that it really was not hair that I was mourning–it was the sense of being part of this world without standing out as “ill” or different. Using a cane makes it so obvious that something is different especially in young people.

All this to say– use the cane because it makes it safer, but please do not beat up on yourself about when you do not use it–you are doing the best you can in a situation that is tough and you put others first all the time–including doing a lot for them when it might be better for you to rest. Most of this is because you care deeply for them, but maybe there is a bit of anger that you are not going to let this illness take over your life.

My tiny suggestion is to ask when you see the ortho about if he/she has any additional suggestions to help prevent falls like better AFOs like Julie suggests–not so much because of vanity, but because you have better things to do in life than to let stumbling compromise that and because having a way that is less obvious helps you preserve autonomy with dignity in a world that often does not understand so well what it means to struggle just to walk.

WithHope

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2009 at 9:19 pm

WithHope, you always have such a way with words.

You are quite right. It took me a long time to take that cane into my work place b/c I knew the day that I did, I was going to face all the questions, stares, and comments. The women in the facility I work at are like no other women I’ve ever met. I think that’s a good thing if I speak for most. They are the most back stabbing group of women you’d never want to meet.
      I’ve had many, many, many ask me what’s happened.

One commented on the elevator when another lady with a cane and I were both on it. She said something about getting on with two handicaps. The other lady said she’s earned it b/c she’s 70 something and has a bad back and knees. ( She’s the asst supervisor of my dept actually ). Standing there, what I was I suppose to say to that ? Oh, I’m 38 but I have a disease you’ve never heard of and are probably too ignorant to comprehend ? I wanted to…but, I bit my lip and let one more little piece of me chip away with CIDP.

Yes, it is very much anger and rebellion . Frustration…all of it. It’s come to not being able to “choose” to take it with me, now, it is a must.

And, every time I really think about it, I get mad.
      I try not to think about it. I pretend not to notice the stares…from everyone either at work or the pool or the store.

You are a special person doing what you do for your job. Working with young children with cancer must be so many things from good and rewarding to very very sad sometimes. As I say, it would take a very special person…and you certainly shine through every time you post.

The knee is doing the same. Hope to know more on the 1st of July.
      I could wear my AFO…just need to buy bigger shoes. The ones it was fitted for, were washed and shrunk,so now I dont really have a shoe that they fit.
      But, probably the only reason I dont get one…not so much vanity…just rebelling again.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Hey Stacey,
      Sorry to hear about your knee. That was me… I had orthoscopic surgery last december ’cause my meniscus was all torn up. I’m always in pain so I figured it was just part of the program actually both knees hurt and only one had a torn meniscus. After the surgery and rehab though I don’t fall as often. I do use a cane full time, walker for long distances (it has a chair and my daughter actually likes to sit on it and pretend she’s the queen bee)plus I’ve ALWAYS been a klutz!!! If you keep falling you are bound to break or tear something so be careful!

Take Care,

~Joyce

• Anonymous
      June 29, 2009 at 2:09 am

IF you have a fracture, it mite not show up on x-rays for a couple of weeks-when the calcium heals the ‘cracks’. This has happened to me at least 3 times [1before CIDP, 2 after] and the last one was a strange one in that the knee was bothering me something awful and no one could find a reason…until it started healing.
      Since I too have just fallen again in this last month [plus a relapse, oh goodie] I suspect the pics will confirm knee damage again. Worse of this time is that this time, I fell off the bed!
      As for the swollen knee? The docs always recommend “RICE” – rest, ice, compression and elevation. It all gets real old very fast, as one can only elevate for so long to any effect. And, the definition of this ‘elevation’ means above the heart…. go figure.
      My heart goes out to you as I understand how much this kind of thing well, just stifles regular life goings-on. It usually takes about a month and some physical therapy to start getting around more normally. I suspect that you will be about much sooner than most! I have faith in you!
      Please take super cautious care of yourself for the duration. I’ll be worrying about you until then…..

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I went to the ortho on Wed morning. He did xrays and said they looked good, said I have an injury but drained a bunch of fluid off and gave me a cortisone shot…OUCH and said come back in a month. If the shot doesnt work, we go from there.

Taking the fluid off definitely helped and probably the shot did, too. Wed night we drove to DesMoines, IA and spent the night and yesterday were at Adventureland Park all day. It’s an amusement park. I did alot of walking…used my cane, obviously, but, I did ok. Just slow and I hate being slow. The people were real good about helping me if I needed getting on and off any rides. I didnt need much help from any of em…I did it on my own.
      It was just Connor and I and my niece and great niece. We had alot of fun.
      We got very wet on the log ride and river ride.
      We got home at 1a and I was up till 3a and then back up again shortly after 9.
      I’m [B]very very [/B]tired but have things to do….gotta go get some fireworks and get a few things at the store…tonite we will watch fireworks somewhere.
      I’ll try to get some sleep tonite. We have my stepdaughter this weekend.

Tomorrow is a pool party then a party at my sisters.

As for the knee, tho..doing better. Fell this morning in my dining room but didnt land on it. That stupid left toe of mine ! I catch it and down I go. No, wasnt using the cane…trying to still convince myself that I dont need it around the house.

Ortho also said to use the AFO….guess I better find some shoes to fit it.

have a wonderful and safe 4th everyone !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Hi Stacey, Just checking in to see how you did at the ortho. Sounds like he helped you a lot. I hope you get relief for the month. Did he explain what the injury was to your knee?

I fell twice last week. First time I got up out of bed and had fallen instantly and my arm swiped my night stand and knocked everything on the floor. Nothing broke and I landed on my butt and upper thigh. Nothing broken, just bruises. Balance is poor at times, but have the same theory as you. I don’t use my cane around my apt., but keep my cane by the front door, and I have to be honest here, I don’t take my cane all the time. I know I told you to remember your cane. Kind of a ” do as I say, not what I do . ” Sorry to preach at you Stacey. If you can survive going to an amusement park, going on the rides, and keeping track of 3 kids, your strength, kindness, and stamina are truly amazing!

Take care of yourself. Happy 4th to everyone.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2009 at 1:07 am

I am not by any means amazing. I am stubborn and bullheaded. I wont give in and I wont give up. I am fun loving, and I love people, I love life and making the best of the worst possible situation. I love being a Mom and doing whatever it takes to get a smile, even if it’s only a smirk, from my child. I love being needed and I dont ever , ever , give up. I fight with some sort of ammunition that, at times, I dont even have. I have a desire inside of me to be all that I can possibly be as a mother and wife. I’m not extraordinary and by no means- certainly, I’m not amazing.

My niece is 27 and her daughter is 5. I couldnt chase three kids…no way, no how.

Had a great 4th but came home from my only sister left tonite, very disappointed. She is one of those that lives in a glass house and throws stones.
      She’s really all I have …besides two nieces…in my family besides my hubby.
      I have issues with stuff with her…and I could easily let it ruin my night, but, wont. Connor had so much fun. He came to me and said, “mom, I need something to blow up”. He’s at the beginning age of pyromaniac. I have so much ahead of me with him.
      He’s so damn cute. I wish you all could see him. His hair is so blonde from the sun bleaching it…his eyes are big and brown and he has this million dollar smile…his personality is often much like an adult and he’s just so funny and beyond his years….I cant explain it.

Him having fun is all that matters no matter what , right ?

thanks to all of you for your unending support, friendship, prayers…without you, I’d be a complete mess, without any doubt.

God bless,
      Stacey