A Call from Social Security!

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2011 at 9:48 am

OK, not a YOU WON call, LOL, but a call none the less from Social Security stating they received all my paperwork and medical release papers and medical documents and they are starting my case. She said it will take 3-4 months to find out the answer, which I know is 75% NO, but at least we have started the process.

I filled them with SO much information. I have every single Dr visit, notes, meds, hospital trips, even surgery on my shoulder which I have a permanent disability rating for, a prolasp MVP heart problem, Lupus, CIDP, OMG, every thing I could think of to help my case.

I started with a workbook and it took me HOURS to fill it out, get the info together, etc, etc. Then I just transferred all the information to the on-line version for SS benefits. I just spent more than 5 hours last week filling it all out after BOTH diagnoses, Lupus and CIDP and I just got the call at 8:30 this morning saying it was in and everything looked in order.

I know I can’t look to “win” MY benefits, but man, I sure hope I do. We really need it and at the end of the day, it’s MY money!

We will now play the 3-4 month waiting game………

Cross your fingers!

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I got my approval within one week, after doing it over the phone (hubbie did fill out the necessary paperwork for me.) It depends on your current condition, & more importantly, your age. If you are over 50 they tend to consider you less employable anyways. I was in terrible condition, basically bedridden at the time & had been refractory to all of the standard treatments.

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I’m curious about disability but I don’t know that I would quality right now because my symptoms are a bit up and down and the dx is not firm. For the past 4 days or so I have been incredibly weak and not able to do anything and have no balance but then out of the blue I have a day like today where i can do more. i actually managed to go the grocery store tonight…instead of my usual stop at the convenience store due to much less walking… I have not been able to keep up my business, it’s too physical and was thinking maybe i could do a job sitting down such as receptionist job but i have such severe pain, which also flutcuates, that i’m worried about even being able to do that type of job on a regular basis i know many of you are far worse than i am right now and i;m sorry for that–i hope somehow we all get well.

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I applied for Social Security Disability in November of 2005, at the age of 43, and was approved on first application. There was a fellow who used to post on these boards back then, I think his screen name was Jethro?, who provided invaluable guidance relative to what SS wants to see. Social Security is not so much concerned with the name of your ailment, they are primarily concerned that your current condition meets the Agency’s definition of disability, as taken straight from the Agency’s website:

The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

“Disability” under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

* You cannot do work that you did before;
      * We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
      * Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

The advice I researched, was that the most important component of your application be a concise cover letter (mine was only one page in length), signed by your physician, that states you have specific disabilities (mine were detailed in the form of a short bulleted list), these disabilities preclude you from performing ANY WORK, and that these disabilities WILL PERSIST FOR MORE THAN ONE YEAR from the date of your application. After that cover sheet, I think I only included maybe 10 total pages of physician reports.

The cover letter, on the Dr’s letterhead, that states you meet the Social Security Agency’s strict criteria of “total disability”, was described to me as crucial to a successful application. I was never interviewed by SS – the process was as smooth as can be. I was also advised that it is not necessary to over load your application with mounds of medical reports, tests, etc.

Hope this helps those contemplating a SSDI application.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I just got approved for SSDI and waited one year… got two denials then took on an attorney which did result in a favorable win. I do think certain attorney’s have ‘friends’ in high places and they get their flat fee of $6,000 no matter how much work they put into it.

I am so thankful no matter how it happened that I got approved. There was mention in my finding that ‘due to my age’ and I think that was a factor – I am now 53. I’ve been up and down with the fatigue and sensory pheriperial neuropathy for years and years. I was doing sedentary work and couldn’t keep up with that toward the end.

It is encouraging to hear of people who got their disability right away. Then there are many of us that have to play the system of wait and wait and wait.

If I can be of any assistance with what I have been through, just PM me and I’ll do my best with sharing my experience. I wonder where Jethro has been??? Anyone know???