90 year old male beginning IVIg

• May 15, 2017 at 11:20 pm

My father is 90 years old and began IVIg treatments today for CIDP. His symptoms started 2 years or so ago, but went undiagnosed until the beginning of April this year. He was diagnosed with CIDP after nerve and neuromuscular testing. He began a rapid decline the beginning of February and began falling without warning. He is an outdoors lover and always very active until early this year. Up until 2 weeks ago, he was cutting grass on their 5 acres. He and my mother (almost 92) live independently and until recently drove to all their appointments, grocery shopping, church, etc.

We have a large family and a great support system for him, but I have had almost no luck in finding testimonies from CIDP patients in his age range.

We don’t want to get our hopes up too much for the IVIg treatments. I am taking him to the Cancer Center every day this week where he is receiving Privigen. Any advice, encouragement, words of wisdom, or facts about treatment are appreciated.

• May 15, 2017 at 11:54 pm

I don’t know about his age, but IVIg can do wonders. 3 weeks ago I was using a cane. After my IVIg treatment in early May I’m walking normally and I feel much stronger. Good luck

• May 18, 2017 at 10:31 am

Thank you, BryanF. We are going for treatment 4 of 5 today and he is already showing improvement. More stable and steady and has been walking without a cane. Just don’t want him to become over confident. He is having some problems with incontinence that has been made worse during these treatments. We’ll take that over not being able to walk unassisted! Thank your for the encouragement

• May 18, 2017 at 10:16 pm

CIDP has affected my “going”. When I have to go, I have to go and make a b-line to the restroom. I would imagine it is harder on a 90 year old. It has gotten better over time and I’d guess he will see improvement over time.

Good luck.