9+ years post GBS. Having hysterectomy due to uterine cancer.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2011 at 10:39 am

I’ve had no illnesses other than slight flu a couple times since getting GBS. I’ve stayed away from flu shots although the year I got GBS I did have one with no bad affects. I am very worried about going into this surgery with a GBS history. I did not have a complete recovery from GBS and am incapacitated in a number of ways, walker, power W/C, diminished strength. I’ve dealt with all this and have a simple but enjoyable life the past several years. I’m not half as concerned about going through the operation as I am about whether I can return to my normal living and be able to again take care of myself. My GYN is sending me to University Hospital in Madison, WI even though there are 3 large hospitals in my city. This makes transport a problem as I use a power W/C but I think I can manage a car using manual W/C and a slide board for the consulatation and getting up there. However, to return I’m sure I cannot manage to get in and out of a car and hope insurance does not give me a hard time about an abulance for the 1 hour trip to local rehab. I guess my main worry is whether GBS may be triggered again with the surgery. Anyone have any experience with this?

• July 31, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I have heard of GBS being triggered by surgeries. Not common, but it does occur. I would talk to your Nuerologist and make sure everyone has knowledge of your GBS.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Thank you for this good advice. Adding this to my long list of questions.