9-year-old boy diagnosed CIDP, need help

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 1:26 pm

About nine month ago (in about October 2008), my nephew, who is 9-year-old, felt pain in the back of his neck, where near the foramen magnum. And the pain became more and more serious. About six month ago (in about January 2009), his right leg went outwards when he was walking. And later his right knee joint became weak and often suddenly bent when he move. Gradually he has the syndrome of ataxias, and can not walk straight forward, can not keep stable with eyes closed, and then cannot run, etc.
      He saw doctor about three month ago (in about March 2009). The EMG examination indicated that his peripheral nervous system was damaged. The lumbar puncture demonstrated a raised CSF protein. The doctor combined the results of these examination and his symptoms, diagnosed him as CIDP.

Now he has been treated by immunoglobulin pulse therapy treatment three terms and also gradually reduced the intake of corticosteroids tablet. After the first week of taking corticosteroids, his neck pain stopped and a week later, the symptoms of ataxias was also became better. After more than three month treatment, all the symptoms described above seems improved.
      But there are several other problems:
      1. Since the treatment, his function of autonomic nervous system gradually damaged and become more and more serious. For example, the frequency of urination becomes much higher. And he often has the unfinished urinations feelings. He has to go to the loo more than six times a night (before he got ill he went to the loo at most once a night) and even much more during daytime. But the whole amount of the urines didn’t get much. Also the times of passing stools are three or four times more than before. There is a strange sounds often take place in his upper alimentary canal, especially one or two hours after meal. The question is that for CIDP the autonomic nervous system normally is not damaged, but why during the treatment while the sensory and motor nervous system improved but the symptoms described above become serious.
      2. Also during the treatment, sometimes he felt some of his muscles ‘jump’. Why this happened? Is it bad or good symptoms?
      3. How to prevent the CIDP from relapse? How to reduce the residual problems?
      4. How about residual of CIDP children? How many rate of them can he totally recovered?
      5. Our father got GBS many years ago, but only in few months he totally recovered. Is there any possible link between my father’s GBS and my nephew’s CIDP?

Any idea and any advice will be very appreciated.

• June 20, 2009 at 12:46 am

My 12 y/o got cidp when he was ten. The only way to stop a relapse is to get consistent ivig treatments. We get 2g/kg every 30 days. We had the same problem with urination, however we had the opposite problem with stools. He was constipated for a good 6 months on and off, never able to fully evacute. He still has “jumping” Maybe fasiculations? Maybe healing,
      I have learned there are some things we will never know about this disease. They do say children DO have a better chance of remission, as the immune system changes during puberty, therefore maybe recognizing the mistakes it is making and a correction takes place. This is what I have read and been told by our doc. It is what I pray for. Good luck to your family.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• June 20, 2009 at 11:50 pm

I noticed you have two of the same threads in different forums, check your other thread, there is info there for you as well.
      Dawn Kevies mom

9-year-old boy diagnosed CIDP, need help

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 1:19 pm

About nine month ago (in about October 2008), my nephew, who is only 9-year-old, he felt pain in the back of his neck, where near the foramen magnum. And the pain became more and more serious. About six month ago (in about January 2009), his right leg went outwards when he was walking. And later his right knee joint became weak and often suddenly bent when he move. Gradually he has the syndrome of ataxias, and can not walk straight forward, can not keep stable with eyes closed, and then cannot run, etc.
      He saw doctor about three month ago (in about March 2009). The EMG examination indicated that his peripheral nervous system was damaged. The lumbar puncture demonstrated a raised CSF protein. The doctor combined the results of these examination and his symptoms, diagnosed him as CIDP.

Now he has been treated by immunoglobulin pulse therapy treatment three terms and also gradually reduced the intake of corticosteroids tablet. After the first week of taking corticosteroids, his neck pain stopped and a week later, the symptoms of ataxias was also became better. After more than three month treatment, all the symptoms described above seems improved.
      But there are several other problems:
      1. Since the treatment, his function of autonomic nervous system gradually damaged and become more and more serious. For example, the frequency of urination becomes much higher. And he often has the unfinished urinations feelings. He has to go to the loo more than six times a night (before he got ill he went to the loo at most once a night) and even much more during daytime. But the whole amount of the urines didn’t get much. Also the times of passing stools are three or four times more than before. There is a strange sounds often take place in his upper alimentary canal, especially one or two hours after meal. The question is that for CIDP the autonomic nervous system normally is not damaged, but why during the treatment while the sensory and motor nervous system improved but the symptoms described above become serious.
      2. Also during the treatment, sometimes he felt some of his muscles ‘jump’. Why this happened? Is it bad or good symptoms?
      3. How to prevent the CIDP from relapse? How to reduce the residual problems?
      4. How about residual of CIDP children? How many rate of them can he totally recovered?
      5. Our father got GBS many years ago, but only in few months he totally recovered. Is there any possible link between my father’s GBS and my nephew’s CIDP?

Any advice and ideas will be very appreciated.

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2009 at 10:38 am

Hi there & welcome.

My daughter was 4 years old when she was diagnosed with CIDP. I hope I can answer some of your questions for you.

1) I’m thinking the CIDP may not have attacked the autonomic nervous system. Frequent urination is common while taking steroids. Steroids cause you to retain fluid. The extra fluid causes you to urinate more often.

The increase in bowel movements could be from either the IVIG or the steroids. Steroids can cause stomach upset. My daughter took them for a short time & they caused severe stomach pain for her. IVIG is protein. It has always caused my daughter to have more frequent bowel movements.

2) I’m guessing the “muscle jumping” feeling could be muscle spasms. It could have been happening because he wasn’t using the muscles as often as he should & it was causing them to spasm. It also could have been caused by nerve regeneration. I’m guessing if he has improved physically that it was nerve regeneration & that would be a good thing.

3) CIDP is a chronic condition. Your nephew should be on an immunomodulator, such as IVIG, on a regular basis to prevent relapses. There really isn’t a way to prevent residual problems. The only thing you can do is make sure he’s getting the correct amount of medication on the right schedule. Also give him a daily multivitamin, make sure he drinks lots of water, gets enough rest & eat lots of lean meats, fruits & veggies.

4) CIDP is rare in children & there is little known about it in children. The few studies that I have found suggest that 70% of children can go into remission. Most have few to no residuals. The studies I have read say most children will go into remission 2-5 years after starting treatment.

I feel the best way to treat CIDP, in children, is to give a loading dose of IVIG. It’s usually 2 grams per kilogram given over 5 days. Some people will need more than 1 loading dose. Some people will need more than 2 grams per kilogram, each person is different. Once you figure out how much IVIG a person needs then you need to figure out the schedule for a maintenance dose, which is usually 1 gram per kilogram, but that also depends on the person.

You should always give a maintenance dose before the person starts relapsing. If a relapse should occur then you need to start over with a loading dose.

It’s important to slowly stretch the treatments further & further apart. You can’t stop IVIG (or steroids) just because you see improvement. It needs to be a slow weaning process.

5) There is no evidence that GBS and CIDP are hereditary. Most scientists now agree that autoimmune issues are hereditary. I’m just guessing but you could have a hereditary predisposition to getting an autoimmune disease.

I find it interesting that his CIDP started in his neck. It usually starts in the feet but can also start in the hands or arms. There’s a mom who hasn’t posted in awhile, she has a small child who has/had problems with his neck. They believe he got CIDP when he was about 9 months old.

May I ask where you live? I’m guessing you are not from the US.

I hope I have helped by answering your questions.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Dear Kelly,

Thank you so much for your reply. It’s very helpful.
      I’am in the UK and my nephew live in China.

Take care,
      Anna