6 Years Post GBS

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  johnor 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

johnor
    Participant

Hi All,

Long story which I will try to keep short. Diagnosed with GBS (AMAN/Axonal Type) in June 2013. Had complete paralysis of arms, legs, abdominal muscles with bowel and bladder loss. 7 Sessions of plasmapheresis followed by 6-7 months in a rehabilitation hospital. I would say today my recovery from a physical standpoint is about 95%.

Residuals – Slight weakness in left ankle (No splint required). Normal gait when walking
    – Occasional electric shocks in my right bicep (take 75mg of Lyrica when flare up)
    – Very minor weakness of abductor muscles in both hands, noticeable during annual
    Neuro exam
    – On and off asymmetrical paresthesia throughout body. Happens out of the blue and can
    last days/weeks. Primarily in arms and legs.
    – Muscle Twitching, mostly in calf muscles of both legs.

Present –

10 days ago I had diarrhea for 24 hours as a result of some bad shrimp i ate. Since then I have had a heavy feeling in both legs and in the past 2 days the twitching in both calf muscles has become both noticeable and uncomfortable.

Luckily I had an already scheduled appointment with my Neurologist this past Monday who gave me a full Neurological exam, everything seemed fine. He reassured me that it is very rare for GBS to reoccur as a result of such an illness. He did mention that as a result of GBS, the body can become hyper sensitive to any illness which occurs in later years.

However I’m curious to hear from others who has had such an illness post GBS and whether you have experienced any neurological symptoms in the following weeks? This is really the first time I have been sick in years so I would be keen to hear from others and if they have experienced anything similar.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.