50th Birthday – 200 Push-ups

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Dear Friends:

I had a great relationship with my neurologist. He was a great doctor who diagnosed me quickly and treated my GBS with a high degree of skill, but he was also a super motivator. When I had one of my last consultations with him, I asked him what long term effects of GBS I would have to deal with. One of the things he said was that I would probably experience some residual weakness. He said that I would probably never be able to do 150 push-ups, no matter how hard I tried and that when I was 50 years old, I probably would not be able to do even 50 push-ups.

I smiled at him when he said this and he gave me a wink. On the way out the door, he said, “About that push-up thing, I would be very disappointed if you didn’t prove me wrong.”

“Prove you wrong?” I asked, “Hell, I’m going to do 200 push-ups on my 50th birthday and I am going to e-mail you and let you know about it!”

He said, “Good! Sometimes I worry about telling people what they can’t do because they actually take it to heart instead of seeing it as a challenge.”

Well, that was five and a half years ago. I started doing push-ups as soon as I had recovered enough. At first I couldn’t do even one. I had to stand next to a wall, lean forwards about 7 or 8 inches and just use my arms to push myself upright. After a year, I could lean on the third step up on a flight of stairs and do 25 push-ups. From there, I just worked every day at doing one more or moving to a lower step.

Today, after I got home from work, I did 205 decent push-ups. A friend of mine who is a fireman made sure they were ‘legal’ push-ups, whatever that means. 205 was all I could do. No matter how hard I tried, there wasn’t a 206th push-up in me. I was really tired and rubber armed afterwards but nothing felt better than to beat a seven and a half year challenge!

And today I also sent an e-mail to my neurologist. I didn’t rub it in that he underestimated me. I thanked him for estimating my will and resolve to prove him wrong correctly. He truly is a great doctor.

Thanks for reading this. I hope I didn’t sound all braggy.

Lee

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Brag away Lee! Wonderful post. Happy Birthday, two milestones, turning 50 and 205 push ups WAY TO GO!!

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2008 at 4:44 am

[SIZE=”4″]Way to go, Lee! [/SIZE] That is simply amazing 😀 Hmm, how about attending the next symposium and showing us how you do it. If everyone gave a nickle per push up we could raise a healthy sum for the foundation!! [SIZE=”4″]Congratulations 😉 [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2008 at 7:57 am

that is awesome !!!! thanks for sharing !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2008 at 8:08 am

Wow Lee you have raised the bar for the rest of us. I better get training as the ole 50 is around the corner! Maybe we could start a challenge here….how about women do situps instead? Congrats on your accomplishment! You’re my hero. Would you like the nickname Superman, Spiderman or something else? :p

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2008 at 10:29 am

Lee,
      Great job, you achieved your goal! Proud of you.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2008 at 11:26 pm

wow lee, i wish i had half the energy (and motivation) that some of the others have on here..:o Happy Birthday and congratulations

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2008 at 4:33 am

Congratulations Lee!
      Your story is so motivating and inspiring!