4-aminopyridine

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Has anyone stumbled across the status of 4-aminopyridine for use with GBS? I saw that the phase III of cliniclas trials was completed in December 06 and it improves the muscular strength of GBS patients. here’s a brief Wikpedia description: [COLOR=”Red”][I]4-Aminopyridine or 4-pyridinamine is a potassium channel blocker. It is used primarily as a research tool and is helpful in characterizing subtypes of potassium channels. It has been used clinically in Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome and multiple sclerosis because by blocking potassium channels it prolongs action potentials thereby increasing transmitter release at the neuromuscular junction and elsewhere.

It is also used agriculturally as a non-lethal bird poison[/COLOR].[/I]

I asked my pain management doctor about it this mornign, but he was not familiar with it.
      Here’s hoping!

• February 13, 2007 at 5:06 pm

I was just at the neuro doctors yesterday and he seemed excited about it. The name the company has given it is Ampydin (IR). I contacted the company that makes it and more trials should begin in JUne or JUly. I am not at all familiar with the FDA trials or how many hoops has to go through to get it to the public. Do a search for Ampydin the company is Neruorecovery Inc. I asked to be on a clinical trial, I think all should do the same, and maybe some of us would get the stuff and not the aspirin. Also the company is not publicly traded. Darn!!!!

Bill

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Laura ~ I am not a scientist so my question is: what is non-lethal bird poison and how does it work??

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone heard anything new about the studies being done with Ampydin (IR) or 4-aminopyridine for use with GBS? Please keep me up to date using this form. Thank you!

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2007 at 3:50 pm

I went to the web site Bill “skipro” mentioned yesterday and filled out the contact us tab. I received a e-mail from the VP this morning.

• February 16, 2007 at 7:18 am

My doctor explained it to me in laymans terms. The drug would help push the electrical pulse thru the nerves that have been damaged. As for me, I gave him a description of one of the things that I noticed about myself. ” When I was young I would take a tablet and at the bottom of the pages I would make stickmen on each page and then flip the pages to make a movie. Now if you were to skip a few pages in the middle and not have any stick men, there would be a skip. Thats what my brain does.” Small short lapses.
      Anyway that just one of my problems. I’m getting better little by little now but its is a slow process. Even if this new drug doesn’t help me I hope it will help others.

Bill

• Anonymous
      February 18, 2007 at 11:16 pm

Thank you Skiproe for tracking down the brand name and company that is developing aminopyridine. I am sorry to hear that your nerve function to your brain may not be something that can be aided by this.

Laura