2nd treatment of Ivig

• March 24, 2018 at 3:33 am

Hi All,
      I have been diagnosed nosed with GBS in December 2017. Had my first round of Ivig in December and was enroute to recovery only to relapse worse than initially a week ago. I was treated with a second round of Ivig. Has anyone gone through this and does this mean recovery will take even longer?

• jk
      March 28, 2018 at 4:28 pm

May clinic has this to say about

“Recovery
      Although some people can take months and even years to recover, most people with Guillain-Barre syndrome experience this general timeline:

After the first signs and symptoms, the condition tends to progressively worsen for about two weeks

Symptoms reach a plateau within four weeks

Recovery begins, usually lasting six to 12 months, though for some people it could take as long as three years”

Every case is different.

GBS without continuing recovery and/or worsening after 8 weeks, is by definition, CIDP.

• GH
      March 30, 2018 at 3:00 am

I had a second loading dose of IvIg after backsliding a week or so after the first treatment. The second didn’t help much either, so when I continued to decline I was switched to plasma exchange as my primary treatment.

Your recovery cannot be predicted accurately. Just try to find the treatment that works best for you and hope for a good recovery.