2 cases in my wifes family & relative in past 12 months

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

GBS is said to be 1 in million, just wonder what is the cause after see 2 cases in past 12 months.
      My wife’s family & relative lives in India.
      1st Incident happened to my father-in-law in his 60s around oct 2012 and now the 2nd incident occured past week one of my wife’s cousine in his early 20s is diagnosed & undergoing GBS theraphy.
      Is there any good hospital reference in Mumbai, India. And also the theraphy is expensive and need some advise on getting funds for these treatment.

• GH
      September 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm

GBS is not inherited, it is acquired, although there may be a genetic predispisition to it. The incidence in North America is about 1.5 to 2.0 per 100,000 annually, according to Parry and Steinberg. It is believed to be triggered by an infection and there may be many different infective agents. Often, the cause is ideopathic, because the infection need not have clinical symptoms to lead to GBS.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm

If you are in Mumbai side of india, try Dr A.B.Shah at SIR Hurkison Nurrotumdas Hospital and Research Centre. He was reported as a knowledeable GBS/CIDP doctor on another website. You should check to see if the hospital has a special program that provides financial assistance to those in need.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2013 at 9:31 pm

hi bhush

just recently a relative of mine also was diagnosed with GBS in india. can you please let me know how your father in law coped with GBS?

thanks
      sribal