Reply To: Receiving vaccines post-GBS

May 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm

CIDP and GBS can be triggered by the seasonal influenza vaccine; the flu shot; the diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus shot, or DTaP immunization; the hepatitis-B vaccine; and the measles, mumps and rubella immunization (MMR vaccine). Another vaccine that may trigger CIDP is the polio immunization.

I would never want to take the risk of having my CIDP return and possibly causing worse damage than it already has.

Infants are protected by their Mother’s immune system (called passive immunity, because the baby has been given antibodies rather than making them itself) for a few months, longer if they are breast fed (mother’s antibodies are passed for a longer period). Their own immune systems kick in after about a year. Their first immunization, given when a baby is two months old, includes whooping cough and Hib (haemophilus influenza type b) because immunity to these conditions decreases the fastest. Passive immunity to measles, mumps and rubella can last for up to a year, which is why the MMR vaccine is given just after a baby’s first birthday.

I think you are at greater risk than the infant if you were to get the suggested shots. This, however a very personal family decision.