White matter spots on brain MRI

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2007 at 8:14 am

I haven’t had my follow-up appointment with my neuro yet, so I haven’t had a chance to ask him this question. I wondered if anyone here might have some insight.

First of all, am I correct in thinking that GBS has no markers that would show up on a brain MRI? I had some spots show up in the white matter of my brain in the MRI I got before a diagnosis of GBS was confirmed. So am I right to assume that these spots would be unrelated to GBS?

Anyone have a clue what spots in the white matter could mean? My spinal fluid tested negative for MS, and I don’t know what else it could be. A few months ago, I had a scary episode during which the whole left side of my field of vision became temporarily obscured, kind of like when you look at the sun and then look away really fast, and you have those bright spots over your vision that make it hard to see. Except it was like that over the entire left side of what I saw. It lasted about 30 minutes. That was the only time I’ve ever had anything like that happen. Now I’m wondering if that was related to the spots in my brain.

Do people who get GBS have predispositions to other conditions (besides CIDP)?

• May 2, 2007 at 10:34 am

Hi! I was told that anyone with autoimmune issues, (gbs,diabetes,allergies and so on and so on) ARE more predisposed to getting other autoimmune issues. I tried to pin the neuro down and I specifically asked him about MS and Lupus. His response was that he did not beleive so. What does that mean??? For now, I’ll just take that as good news. I also have read that some cidp patients do have lesions on the brain and do not test for MS in the lp as in your case. I am at the point of does anyone really know? I think I remember a question similar to yours on the forum before, try doing a search! Keep strong! Dawn Kevie’s mom 😮

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2007 at 1:16 pm

I don’t know about when spots are only on one side, but I get auras before I get a migraine headache. This round, zig-zag electrical looking thing appears in my general vision – starting out small then growing bigger until it finally moves out of my vision. That takes about 30 minutes. You might want to read up about migraines and see what you think.