What’s the story behind your handel?

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 1:05 am

I thought it would be fun for anyone who wants to explain why they use the on-line name they use.

I use “AIRdave” because I am a heating and air conditioning contractor, or at least I was, until the onset of CIDP. I sold my company named “Air Bug Cooling, Heating and Duct Cleaning” in July this year because I can’t work any more. I would have used “AIRBUG” as my handel but I don’t own the name any longer (boooohooo for me) crocodile tears!

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 4:55 am

Great idea and thread, AIRdave!! It might be more appropriate to put this in the “Lighter Side” thread……..just a suggestion. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚

Perry

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 10:03 am

I’m “Mindy McConnell” cos I’m a huge fan of Mork and Mindy (tho the show started running a few years before I was born!) and I have more than a few things in common with Mindy, I’m a cub reporter like her, same age as she was in the show, and apparently I look like her but sadly I don’t have a cool Jeep yet! (Boyfriend possibly an alien – as yet unconfirmed)!!!

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 10:08 am

Airdave, If I had been more knowledgeable about the forums when I registered I would not have used my name, but the handle Naughty. I got this handle working as a DJ on a night time Radio show many years ago. “Naughty at Night, she’d not bad, just naughty!” My husband and I have a local DJ service, for weddings, clubs and such and I still use that handle now!

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 10:54 am

Hi,
      Some of you already know that my “handle” here comes from my two very much loved and beloved DOGS, who are both in heaven. CODY, named after Iron Eyes Cody, an ecology native American who did “keep America beautiful” commercials on TV, (she had unusual blue eyes, thus Iron Eyes came about) was my big girl, an unknown breed and STANLEY was my little boy, a yorki-poo, honey colored like a teddy bear. Around the time I got Stanny, I had watched one of my favorite Laurel and Hardy movies, “Saps at Sea” and this little dog had a grin like STANLEY Laurel, so he became Stanley.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 11:01 am

my name comes from my deadly reaction to an injection of nubane at my drs office on 2 26 99. and i got the angel 2nd class from the movie Its a Wonderful Life, the angel clarence was an angel second class and still didn’t have his wings-since i was out of my body and floating around in between going from heaven and getting back into my body because my angel told me it wasn’t my time and i had a job to do-raising my kids. i love clarence in the movie and since my experience has changed my life like clarence did for george, in the movie, i adapted it to me. i even had plates for my car with angl2c (angel2ndclass) on them.:)

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 11:37 am

I wasn’t as creative as you all. Sometimes I get tired of people mispronouncing my first name (Norbert) ranging from Robert to Nobert or Norman. So, I picked [B]Norb[/B] to make it easier for all you “foreigners”. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 11:58 am

When I joined a newsgroup called RAMD ( rec. arts- marching -drum corps) there was a mike already posting there, hence – the OTHER Mike

I’m the OTHER mike on several newsgroups which now have several “others” such as ” Another Mike, Yet another Mike, another OTHER Mike and the OTHER other Mike.

On our local weather forum I’m “gullywasher”, one of the biggest words I learned to say as a child.

On a local band director’s forum, I’m DCI72 ( Drum Corps International 1972)

And yet on another newsgroup dedicated to arguments, I’m known as “the Aggaront One” But I also answer to “hey stupid”.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 12:24 pm

My name is 2pznapod (or two peas in a pod) beacause when my husband and I met everyone said we were like 2 peas in a pod. We still feel that way after 13 years of marriage and so that is our “handle”. I suppose we should change it to 3pznapod now because we have our daughter (adopted 1 year ago) and we now come as a set of three. ๐Ÿ˜€ Well actually, there are a total of 5 of us but the two older children do not live with us now and when our youngest (now 22 mths) grows up and moves away it will be back to 2pznapod – so I guess it stays.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 1:09 pm

When I first got on to forums/chats years ago, I was Julia, after my grandmother. I got hit on too many times by creeps, so I changed it to Jules. When I joined the original GBSfi forum, there was already a Jules, so I went Jules01.

Cheers and hugs to everyone. Haven’t been on here for a while.

Val

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 4:21 pm

My family and some close friends call my Ali, short for Alison, and never having joined an online discussion board before, I didnt know if it was ‘safe’ to put my full name down, or what the protocol was. If I remember correctly, on the old forum the name Alison was already taken in any case when I registered originally.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 4:52 pm

[QUOTE=Perry]Great idea and thread, AIRdave!! It might be more appropriate to put this in the “Lighter Side” thread……..just a suggestion. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚

Perry[/QUOTE]
      Perry, I realized thst after I started it. Do you know how to move it to The Lighter Side?

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 7:37 pm

Years ago when my wife and I started having kids we didn’t want to know the sex prior to birth. Going through names fustrated me and before each of our three girls (now in their 30’s) I would say “I don’t care what it is just name it Bruno”. When I signed up for an email address I used Bruno, and I guess I was the 179 person to request that name.
      Be well – John

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2006 at 10:07 pm

I am an elementary P.E. Teacher. However, when I first was diagnosed, I wasn’t real sure about being able to keep my job. This name is a reminder to me every day to be determined to keep my job- even though there are days when I’m too pooped to keep up with 40 first graders! I did have to take off a 1/2 year, and still do have sick days for my IVIG treatments. Now that I am on CellCept, I still worry that my immune system will be too weak with students, but I’m still determined to be a P.E. teacher. Thanks to God, I am.

Dennis

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 9:41 am

My father was an Irish contractor who believed that boys should be worked and kept busy to stay out of trouble. He didn’t like government telling him what to do, so child labor laws be damned. During my summers from high school, I would work for him, usually digging ditches with a shovel. I would come home and my mother would ask me “Well, what did you do today?” I finally told her, “Listen, you don’t need to keep asking me that same question each day, just assume I was digging ditches with a shovel. If I do anything different that shoveling, I will tell you.”

She told my father what I said, and he thought it was funny and told the workmen. After school started and while I was at football practice, my father’s workmen came to do repairs on our football equipment. When they saw me they yelled “There’s Shovel!” My fellow football teammates picked up on it and the name Shovel stuck with me over the years.

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 10:32 am

That is a wonderful story!

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 11:27 am

I’m eightplusfive because I like the number thirteen when it’s a combination of eight and five. Don’t ask me why–some people like colour combinations; I like number combinations.

Deb

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 1:18 pm

I am doby48 because my little baby girl was a doberman so doby is short for doberman (and is pronounced like the beginning of doberman, NOT like the house elf in Harry Potter). The number 48 is because that is my boyfriends favorite number so he has that as his number on all of his softball jerseys (not sure why I didnt just use my favorite number years ago, but oh well this is my handle now and no changing it after over 10yrs of use)

EDIT: btw… my doberman passed away last year. Even though I have my German Shorthair now, doby48 will remain my handle.

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 2:07 pm

Shovel,

What a great post!

As for me, my handle is very boring — my real name — so I occasionally change my signature to raise the bar.

Regards,
      She Who Must Be Obeyed (from Rumpole)

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 2:32 pm

No, I don’t know how to move it either. I wouldn’t worry about it now, this thing has taken off like “gangbusters”. Great idea. And has created a whole lot of interest!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Perry

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 2:35 pm

[QUOTE=AIRdave]Perry, I realized thst after I started it. Do you know how to move it to The Lighter Side?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know either, but I wouldn’t worry about it. This thing has taken off with GREAT interest from the “rest” of the family. Leave it here.:)

Per

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 11:08 pm

Shovel, I love your story! My name’s just Shannon. Kind of boring as a handle, but I’ve always loved my name.

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 11:55 pm

guess i’m boring too. my name is deb. that’s it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2006 at 9:35 am

Swam every day, often 2-3x per day, for over 10 years, competing at the national and international levels. Hence, Swimm. (Flipper was taken).

(I am now so sick of swimming … even running seems exciting in comparison … least the scenery changes!)

I still do a little bit of coaching for high level triathletes and some collegiate kids looking for additional pointers or tips to get them over the hump into nationals … but I MUCH prefer taking my toddler for a splash session! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2006 at 10:05 am

vmac isn’t very original. Victoria MacKenzie was too long. At work they call me McVic, but I’ll just stay with vmac. At one time I used vanghostrunner for another website. I was running before work one morning and it was dark and foggy. One of Vancouver’s finest pulled up behind me and told me I looked like a ghost running. I liked that one.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2006 at 10:36 am

I collect Marguerite sheetmusic from 1900-1920. It is very inexpensive on ebay, can be easily framed, and a delightful way to personalize my apartment.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 11:01 am

Dear Friends:

On other websites I noticed that being anonymous behind a vague handle could lead to despicable behavior. I chose my real name because I didn’t want to post anything that I was not afraid to attach my real name to. Everyone here knows who I am and where I live. If I **** them off, they can come to my house and shoot out my porch light. Seems fair enough.

Lee

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 2:38 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ I could perhaps have chosen something exotic, like “Viking Woman” for instance, but I’m rather proud of my real name, as it is extremely rare, even in Norway. Only 9 people (women) in Norway have it as their only first name, a few more in combination with another first name. Several of my “foremothers” were called Allaug, the last one abt. 200 years ago. When I was little and people asked where I got the name from, I used to tell them that my dad found it in a drawer.:cool:

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 6:21 pm

Robert L – well the full name is Robert L Jones I did some singing thru the late 50s-thru the mid 60s — The Boston/Cambrdge scene of folk music — and every one refered to me as Robert L — no matter where you go there are just to many Robert Joneses’ –so the L became the qualifier!
      Still working in the music business with a company that produces music festivals– mostly Jazz and Folk –Newport Folk & Jazz are our best known ..

All the best — see you at one of our Fests!

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 6:40 pm

[COLOR=red]When I used to teach fire prevention to kids I thought “Fireman Dave” would be less formal. I wanted to be on their level. ๐Ÿ™‚ [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 11:25 pm

I used to be Hauts on the last GBS forum, mostly because both of my boys were nick-named “hauts” during their high school years. It was a take-off on our last name Hautamaki. When we got our first computer in 1998 my son used it as our user name for email.
      When I registered for the forum back in 2002, my hands were not working, so he just registered me as hauts. When the forum went down, I was glad to finally register by my real name, Pam. But since Pam was already taken, I had to add my last initial as well. But that is OK, as when I taught high school most of the kids just called me Mrs. H, as they couldn’t pronnounce my last name. I prefer having my real name as a handle, as now I don’t always have to add my name to my post!

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 12:13 am

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”]Where’d I get the dustdemon from, Simple I live in a rural area of Ky. On a gravel road almost every idiot that drives on this road likes to speed & cover everything in site over with dust. Needless to say I’ve been covered over with dust one too many times while mowing the grass. I have literally called some of these idiots some words that would have embarrassed a minister ! ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 3:42 pm

My handle Brandy came from my Grandparents. I got into my grandfather’s brandy as a young child and from that day forward, I was called Brandy by my Grandparents, but no one else in the family calls me that.

I forgot to add that Doc David calls me Double Brandy.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 1:23 am

Grew up with tv program and I wanted to be like the younger daughter. Her Dad called her “Kitten” I liked cats!

When I was in Girl Scout Camp we took a slice of tree trunk on a string for a name tag and glued sticks to form our names. I guess I was lazy and had figured it out that a short name was betther than trying to fit a long one on the wood. K I T was easy to do with twigs…

Later when the internet started I seen KIT was short for Keep In Touch. Also I was a dog obedience instructor and wanted to push for Kindness In Training.

After being in the hospital for 9 weeks and having people do things for me all day…..I felt like a Lady…….so LadyKIT was born…..starting out on the UK forum I added the USA.

Thanks for all your stories!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 8:34 am

This is fun! Wish I had something cool to add, but I have just used my own name. I did decide not to add my last name, because it is a bit ridiculous in English and I didn’t want you to laugh at me…
      OK I will mention it, but just this once, and don’t laugh! It is: Boom.

I said don’t laugh! It means ‘tree’ in dutch, so it’s a perfectly normal name!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 2:19 pm

Eva, may I ask a question totally beside the point here: Is this you sweet cat on our “handel” picture? What kind is it? It looks so much like my Mosse, an Abyssinian.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 11:14 pm

[COLOR=”Purple”]Eva, I won’t laugh at your last name. Mine is a joke considering I can hardly walk……..Speed! As far as my handle, there were already 4 Vicki’s spelled in various ways so I just used my initials-BORING.[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2006 at 8:01 am

Yes, that’s my cat Lena. As far as the animal shelter I got her from could tell me she is an ordinary european shorthair, but judging from her color there could something abyssinian in her. Either way, she is not ordinary to me!

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2006 at 2:10 pm

simply my name and the number 7 as I am 7 years post GBS.

• October 30, 2006 at 9:53 am

Mine is a nickname my 3 kids dubbed me with. We used to watch The Fairly Odd Parents on tv almost religiously. And since I am a goofball, I became the Fairly Odd Mother. As a family we are the Fairly Odd Family (use that handle for Geocaching….been awhile since we have gone out treasure hunting, but it is certainly a unique name for us).:)

On other boards and email I am Vee8—not for the juice but for the engine in my car. I love classic cars, own a 69 camaro super sport, and have been “vee8” since joining the internet about 12 or so years ago.

~Lori