what are the chances of GBS recurrence after TKR?

• November 2, 2018 at 4:52 pm

My husband was diagnosed with GBS last November (2017). He made an almost complete recovery and returned to work on January 2nd (2018). He is now being advised that he needs a Total Knee Replacement as soon as possible (nothing to do with the GBS). My concern is for the recurrence of GBS. I am learning that surgery can actually cause GBS. Several sources on the internet state that they are finding 6 to 8 weeks after surgery some patients are developing GBS. We were told last year that the chances of my husband getting GBS again were minimal. Almost 0. I am unable to find any information about GBS after surgery for people who had already had GBS in the past.

• November 3, 2018 at 2:28 pm

I would agree with the opinion that triggering a reoccurrence of GBS from a TKR is almost nil. More likely would be an immune response to metal toxicity, if your husband has some sensitivity to metals. Is he allergic to types of jewelry (silver, gold, aluminum, stainless steel, etc.)?

Here is an article that may help explain the metal toxicity risk better:
      https://www.dlionbergermd.com/new-technology/rejected.php

• November 3, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Thankyou so much. No, he is not allergic to any metals. Just shellfish!
      And thank you. Iwill read the information about metal toxicity anyway. More knowledge is better than less.