Weight loss?

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I went to see my sister today and was shocked at how skinny she was. She is skin and bones. She is still being tube fed because she keeps failing the swallow test. And she also had her colon removed 2 weeks ago, so I am not sure what is going on. She was not like that last week. I am concerned that she might not be getting enough nutrition. What are your thoughts?
      The will be moving her to a rehab center in East Tawas Tuesday, I will not be able to visit with her every week because it is 3 hours to get there. So I am going to try to go at least every 2 weeks but I will have to spend the night.
      Her husband has to pay for this up front out of pocket $6,000. His goal is hopefully after one month she will be able to go home. I hope that is true but I am not so sure my sister will be physically ready, she cannot feed her self she cannot lift her right arm cannot really do anything for her self. I can’t stand that money has something to do with the progress my sister makes. I was thinking of having a charity dinner to help with the finances.
      Thanks for listening, prayers, and thoughts

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 8:02 am

dianes sister, I am sure with the surgery and all that weight loss would be evident. I truly hope that you can visit because I know in my heart that helps. We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. May God Bless your sister and her family as well as the caregivers who are so important at this time.

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Thank you so much, it kills me not being able to go every week end……
      prayers really do work. She has come a long way.
      God bless you

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Sudden, dramatic, weight loss is a common symptom of GBS. I lost about 25 lbs during onset, all within a few weeks. My muscles literally wasted away as the muscle cramps of onset took over. I also had nausea, and trouble chewing and swallowing, so ate even less because I’d bite my tongue, or food would dribble out of my mouth. Also, the surgery she has undergone has placed an added burden of stress on her body.

After the initial severity of weight loss at onset, her body should stabilize (in weeks or months) with weight gain after that. In the meantime, all food and drink she can tolerate should be as nutritious as possible to replace the losses. Also, she may have hair loss (temporary), fingernail deformities; the body is fighting to heal itself in its vitals, so anything less important (like hair), is not its priority right now. Morale is very important at this stage. She’ll be trying to come to terms with what is happening to her, and what is going to happen to her. Her body has taken a hard hit, but she is already starting to heal. Keep stressing all the improvements. Make a list in a notebook, so she has something definite to compare it to whenever the GBS seems to be winning. (And there will be those dark times.) But focus on the gains every day; make it a goal; it gives hope and reality to fight the nightmare of devastation to her body.

• August 11, 2014 at 6:30 am

Eat three meals per day, as well as two snacks. Eating on a regular schedule can help you make sure you’re getting enough calories every day. Aim to have generously-portioned breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as two snacks in between.
      Focus on hefty foods. You don’t have to exclusively eat high-fat foods to gain weight. Actually, you’ll gain weight more steadily and safely if you adjust your diet slightly to include denser foods and extra condiments.

• November 28, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Robert, that may prove difficult as she said that her sister is on a feeding tube and has just had her colon removed.

Weight Loss

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2010 at 7:36 pm

When I was sick I lost 43 pounds, I had a severe case in Nov.2006. I have bounced back & gained that back & then a little more, but now I need to get my weight down about 10-15 pounds that would put me where I should be. Has anyone had similar experiences?

• April 18, 2010 at 11:12 am

same here, Im fighting the weight gain, most came when I started to walk again, but Im dieabetic too and they have been trying out so many meds I cant even say all the meds I have tryed and all ended with me gaining more weight, even though they numers say most people lose weight, but we had GBS and how many can say that, so we are are the rare people that dont respond like others that for sure :))) now Im only on insulin and wola.. Im losing weight :))) but the doc sad I would gain it 😀

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2010 at 12:13 am

I’m 6’5” and was 330 lbs when diagnosed. On feeding tube went down to 225 lbs. 2 yrs now, im at 350 lbs. I lack the energy to do more to lose the weight.

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I lost 25 lbs. and have gained back 10 or so. The problem is I couldn’t eat for so long and now I am eating everything in sight! 🙂 and I can’t exercise so I better watch it……I can see how it would be easy to gain it all back and some.

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2010 at 12:50 am

i lost 40 pounds when i got sick, 4 years agao.. have had alot of trouble with my tummy since being diagnosed, so i havent gained any bak. I just started taking a new med 2 weeks agao and it is helping alot, iv gained 4 pounds ad am really really excited to get back to my healthy weight…. im sorry i don’t have any more advice for u…. maybe make sure ur eating healthy food? i know when i lost all the weight i started eating anything and everything, but now tat the weight is gona start to stick again…… back to healthy fruits and vedggies ! 😀

• July 17, 2010 at 9:11 am

[QUOTE=istaroaz]When I was sick I lost 43 pounds, I had a severe case in Nov.2006. I have bounced back & gained that back & then a little more, but now I need to get my weight down about 10-15 pounds that would put me where I should be. Has anyone had similar experiences?[/QUOTE]

Hi istaroaz

I have battled weight gain all my life. I have concluded that the only diet is one based around my body and food needs. For me the biggest lesson was learning the difference between appetite and hunger. My North American notion of ‘all you can eat’ and food served on platters rather than plates had to go. Also, I identified that my ‘comfort foods’ are fattening so I carefully watch my consumption of these. I try to conciously balance my calories consumed with my calories burned.Following these principles I have been able to maintain my weight.
      I appreciate the difficulty that GBS presents to followng my plan. I have been pumping the vitamin pills and taking it easy on the fattening foods. I have cut out most dairy and red meat/pork. So far, so good. I am being as active as I can and then I rest as much as i want/need. I notice that even simple excercise such as using my guitarist hand-strengthener while watching the boob-tube gets my heart rate up so I am hoping that my physio and return to life will be enough to burn calories.
      I support you in your battle and hope you can find a solution that works for you. I hope that my and other suggestions here will help. Keep kicking a**!