Walkin on glass?

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Been at the beach for a couple weeks. When I walk bare foot on sand , it feels as tho I am walking on tiny bits of glass. Any one have this feeling also? The balls of my feet are still numb and my toes still feel weird. Maybe my nerves are coming back . ..dont know.
      Ron

• July 12, 2008 at 10:45 pm

well, since things are so sensitive I can only imagine how sand would feel under your feet. I know when my feet were numb and not quite ‘normal’, everything felt exaggerated. It does sound like there is some healing happening and of course our nerves now interpret sensations oddly. It is the nerves sending wacky messages to our brains.

~Lori

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2008 at 2:42 am

I get that feeling all the time!

I can not walk without running shoes on,
      I have tried sandals, slippers, dress shoes.
      I can only wear 1 type of runner!

Not sure how I would make out in sand, I’ll have to give it a try someday!

Sounds like a good excuse for booked a cruise to Caribbean! :p

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Hi Ron.. Since this gbs/cidp stuff came along, I find I have to wear slippers in the house all the time, or have some kind of footwear on.. I spose cause of the strange nerve sensations.. We vacationed down at the Wisconsin Dells last week, and spent alot of time at the waterparks.. I walked a lot barefooted, and it wasn’t the most pleasant thing…deanop

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Ron and Deanop, the vacation part sounds like fun. I walk barefoot at home but walking barefoot outside on pavement just kills me. I can walk on the packed sand by the water but loose sand kills me energy wise. The others are right, my nerve sensitivity sometimes is zilch and sometimes it is off the charts with how I feel. I walk in sandals or any light weight shoe-choose whatever helps my balance. Heavy shoes make my legs hurt more and feet and ankles swell. Need my foot supported(straps, etc.) that keep my heel from slipping around. Emma

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2008 at 12:26 am

Hi, my feet feel numb and tingly all the time too. Feel the best with tenners on, even in the house. Even though they feel numb, they aren’t, I can feel everything in my bare feet, it’s weird to describe. I just got back from a beach vacation and I could not get to the ocean water. The hard packed pathways up over the new dunes were ok, but I had to hold onto my hub in the loose sand and the water was way off so I didn’t even try. Then I had to get back to the pathway and down it. I couldn’t have done it on my own. I didn’t even think about if I’d gotten to the beach and down on the blanket, I couldn’t have gotten up off the blanket w/o help. Disappointing but I’m hopeful I’ll get stronger and get there the next time.

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Ron,
      I have the same sensation on my feet at the beach. My feet are numb on the top, but the soles are super sensitive.

I get that same “super sensitive” effect on my fingers from handling anything gritty.

Hang in there.

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Oh this thread brings back memories of being in the hospital and my hands being super sensitive. In Occupational Therapy they worked with me daily to desensitize my hands. I would feel (blindfolded) rice, macaroni, beans and tell them what I was touching. Cottonballs and pom poms where not too bad but the other things just sent me thru the roof. The rice felt like shards of crushed glass. The macaroni felt like they were making me pick up screws and the points of them were cutting into my hand. Beans felt like wet river rocks. What a weird experience! They tried massaging my hand with a cream and vibrator and that was torture but I tollerated it until that night I could not sleep my hands swelled up like a baseball was under the sking and then they were asked to back off the vibration. Later we tried it again and again same reaction….my hands swelled up like balloons. After I was home my feet gave me some weird sensations too. Stepped on a dime and it felt wet. I looked down as I yelled at the Yorkie…..she just ignored me! Water from the dog bowl on the kitchen floor felt cold and like I was going to slip walking on that ice! My carpets felt like sandpaper and the cement stone on the patio felt like someone was removing my skin. The went grass felt like snow and ice and I was afraid of slipping. Hot cement was agonizing and the crushed stones in the driveway were not tollerable. I too can only wear one pair of New Balance shoes since my onset. But I have to tell you that this Summer has been great and I am able to do more and more! I will have to make a post soon to tell everyone how great this year has been in my recovery. I am getting better by leaps and bounds after last year of a slower recovery process. Each Summer had been better than the one before. I am celebrating being able to pull weeds this year. My hands burn after I do, but I am able to participate in more and more this Summer. I am able to use my new camera too! Never give up! IT is very true when they say the recovery is slow. I appreciated that honesty when I first visited this site…I did not really know just how slow the body heals. GBS does also stand for Getting Better Slowly! My advice is to not avoid doing things just keep testing how things effect you from month to moth and year to year. My Journal has really helped show me I am still recovering even after 2.5 years.

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Ron,

23 years out, and my feet feel the same. I also have some rough sisal rugs in my house that I cant walk barefeet on. Also, in Feb we went on a mission trip and had to use the local camping showers to clean up after a days work, the hard plastic ‘mats’ that they put in the shower nearly drove me insane!

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 9:57 pm

KIT-although I started in this journey with CIDP, not GBS, I made a copy of your posting tonight to read to my friends. Although my numbness & sensitivity are different, I think my family and friends will truly understand your words and maybe understand me a lot better. Thank you for posting it like you did, and I am glad you are slowing getting better.