Vaccine at Onset?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Marcel 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

CIDPTurtle
    Participant

My daughter’s CIDP was caused by the HPV vaccine. I was shocked when a doctor we know personally said to me, “Well, yeah, all vaccines have the possibility of causing Guillain-Barré Syndrome.” She said in such a matter of fact way you could have pushed me over with a feather.

I’ve since learned of many other cases caused by flu shot, but wondering how many people on this forum were diagnosed as a result of any vaccine, and which?

cer100
    Participant

I had both flu and pneumonia shots in the weeks before my sudden onset CIDP. No one will say either was the cause, just a possibility as I had also had a prolonged respiratory issue for the months before.

GH
    Participant

There is no evidence that any vaccine causes GBS, certainly not in the way we normally use the term “cause.” The matter has been studied extensively and continues to be studied and monitored by the Institute of Medicine and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A report on a comprehensive study by Kaiser Permanente is available in these forums, along with reports of other studies. These studies show that the incidence of GBS is the same for those who have been vaccinated and those who have not been vaccinated.

That the incidence is the same does not mean, however, that a vaccination cannot be a factor. It is possible that a vaccine can be a trigger (not a “cause”) in a few cases, but the number of such cases must be exceedingly small or studies would be able to show the connection.

There is one known trigger of GBS: Campylobacter jejuni, a pathogen found in poultry and in the environment. There may be many different infections which can trigger GBS, and a person may be susceptible to only one. Most people, of course, are not susceptible at all. The “cause” of GBS is in your own makeup.

As for the flu vaccine, I had a very serious case of CIDP never having had a flu vacine and having had no vaccines at all for several years before getting the disease. Since recovering, I now get vaccinated for influenza every year, because I know that is better protection for my health than avoiding vaccines.

minazeer
    Participant

I got GBS after suffering from chikenpox and was taking chroromycin syrup at the age of 9

Marcel
    Participant

My mom got GBS two weeks after getting the last of 3 vaccinations needed for an operation (she did not get in the end). ER doctors said they suspect them to have been the trigger. Still, mom had a very persistent cold as well.
    In any case, I’ve read that such a trigger may trigger GBS in combination with a genetic predisposition. Mom has also suffered from Hemolytic Anemia for the past 18 years or so. I am sure sometime in the future they’ll discover this is all related somehow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.