Treatments for inflammation, what works for you?

• August 21, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Has anyone found a home remedy that helps with the inflammation pain? I was researching turmeric. Anyone had success, like others, using that spice? Does a turmeric pill work? Any creams or oils that help relieve the inflamed nerves? I have some success with virgin coconut oil but that seems to do more for calming nerve activity than inflammation. Hoping there are some good suggestions out there. Please share. Thanks, Jeff in Houston

• jk
      August 30, 2017 at 10:42 am

I notice no one has replied. It’s been a week. Well, what kind of inflammation? Where in the body is it? What areas are involved and how do you know the pain is from inflammation?

Turmeric, particularly curcumin seems to mostly have health benefits praised by the people selling the stuff. However, one meta-analysis reported to the NIH states “8–12 weeks of standardized turmeric extracts (typically 1000 mg/day of curcumin) treatment can reduce arthritis symptoms (mainly pain and inflammation-related symptoms) and result in similar improvements of the symptoms as ibuprofen and diclofenac sodium.

Note- the report also states the sample size is too small to be conclusive.

It’s main use is for arthritis, osteoarthritis and the study authors state those conditions have similarities to auto immune conditions.

• August 30, 2017 at 12:33 pm

jk, thanks for the reply. My cidp started in December of last year. It started with extreme pain in the thigh muscles followed by nerve activity and numbness. Had an early diagnosis and started Ivig treatments every 2 weeks for 7 months now. I feel pretty good, strength and balance have remained strong but will have inflammation on occasion that can be painful. Sometimes comes and goes quickly, other times can hang around for an hour or 2. Assumed this was common for cidp sufferres since it is chronic inflammation but others say they have no inflammation as a symptom. Mine is mainly in the top thigh muscles and occasionally in the forearm muscles. Was just wondering what others may have had success with to help the pain. I am completely aware that my body is using inflammation to protect me but it goes overboard with this condition for me. Currently a flood victim from Hurricance Harvey in Houston ☹️

• jk
      August 30, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Well, I have a different outlook on the cause and effect of the inflammation aspect of CIDP.

The do-dads (Chronically) attack (Inflammatory) the myelin (Demyelinating) sheath of one or more peripheral nerves (Polyneuropathy), eventually affecting proper muscle function. Because the muscles lose the ability to contract properly, they don’t. Left alone long enough the muscles atrophy. It’s not a question of muscle tissue becoming inflamed.

If you were experiencing fasiculations or muscle cramps that would be expected.

Oh, well, everybody’s disease is different.