Traveling…what do we need to take or think about

• October 24, 2011 at 12:43 am

I am getting my husband to go to Orlando with me in a couple weeks. This will be our first time traveling since we started down the GBS/CIDP road. Boy, what a long road.

I have been trying to think ahead and figure out what we should be taking. What will the issues be flying? I don’t want him over doing it. Yes, I am probably over protective!

I want to take his wheelchair. I thought it would be fun to go to Epcot to the food and wine festivel. Maybe a couple rides. Has anyone gone to Disney world with somewhat limited mobility? How are they with you?

He is doing great. Walks two miles every day. But, that is with substantial AFO’s.

Any thoughts, suggestions or things to do in the Orlando aread would greatly be appreciated.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I found when I do travel I become tired rather quickly. Take time for your husband to rest…laying down if possible. I would check with Disney for what options they have for special needs visitors and make sure the hotel is equipped when what he may need.

I over-do 3 weeks ago while on a short vacation and am still paying for it. It was worth it as I had a good time.
      Enjoy.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Hubby has CIDP and we do most activities, but incorporate frequent rest periods. We will be going to Disneyland in the next couple of months. I know he will have to return to the hotel for a nap a couple of times during the day. He found this hard to adjust to at first, but now he accepts that is the way it is going to be. I have MS and have been doing this for years. We just took up ice skating a month ago–after no skating for 40 years. We wobble and hold onto one another and the wall sometimes and only skate for half an hour, but we are loving it. I think you two will have a great time–just rest lots and add even more rest periods if it is really hot outside. Have fun.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

You might want to think about inquiring about handicap accommodations when you make overnight reservations. Things like commode hight can be a problem as well as fixtures in the shower for graping on to if you lose your balance. [Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :rolleyes: ]

Also a wheel chair in the airport is not a bad idea ever if your husband doesn’t want to do it. Believe me I know it is a guy thing. We don’t like to admit that we cannot do something so simple as walk through an airport. Saving the energy for the vacation was worth a little ‘humiliation’.

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm

We were at Epcot, Disneyworld, MGM, & Universal in Orlando back in the 90s & had my son who was then 11 & in a wheelchair with us. They were wonderful, as far as not having to wait in lines, etc. I now am disabled with CIDP & wear AFOs & walk very minimally, yet I travel quite a bit. I use my transport chair in the airports & museums, but I could never walk two miles ever. Make sure he gets up often on the plane to prevent blood clots, just a walk to the restroom a few times helps. They do have mobility scooters for rent at all of these places; often worth it, even if he can walk, as it conserves on one’s energy. Have a great trip, just make sure he gets enough sleep or naps as needed.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2011 at 1:51 am

There is a travel thread that I started and it may give you some more ideas. I especially would not take my power chair on an airplane across the country. Rental at destination is the way to go. They usually deliver to you and if anything goes wrong they fix or replace. One hour layovers between flights is not enough – even using the same airline. Two hours minimum and bring a book. If possible one direct flight is best.
      Handicap accessible does not mean the same to non-handicapped folks. Close is about what’s out there. If you need a chair in the tub or shower ask them to be sure it fits! I never have enough grab bars and place chairs at strategic locations in my room where I need them. Only I know the best locations for those.
      Most family destination places are way up to speed on the disability thing and most people will lend hand if asked – even when not asked – that can be dangerous – been there and got that t-shirt too..
      I’m most interested in travel tips and sharing experiences. So keep us posted, every bit helps. Have a great time. Thanks BT

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2011 at 12:38 am

My mother told me when I travel to take half the clothes and twice the money you think you’ll need. She was right about that – she also said I didn’t have to spend it all… of course those were in the days when we actually used $ not credit/atm & etc. But the concept is a good one.
      In general, I don’t think a person can buy a good time but can certainly have one.