Tooth Extraction and Dentistry post GBS

• August 20, 2019 at 8:22 am

There are a few posts on this subject already, but all are at least a year old and we could do with some advice/assurance now.
      My wife came down with GBS in April 2018 just six days after hip-replacement surgery which was in turn just 4 months after knee-replacement surgery on the same leg. While we of course don’t know that these two surgeries in a row were the trigger for GBS, it is our supposition/fear and so the thought of future procedures is a cause of anxiety.

Yesterday, our dentist informed her that she needs a tooth extracted and that given her history of GBS they would recommend it be done under sedation. This is a scary thought so does anyone have thoughts/experience/advice as to if sedation is wise or should she go with local anesthetics instead. Neither sound fun to me.
      Dave

• GH
      August 20, 2019 at 4:24 pm

When I have had extractions, they were always done under some kind of sedation. That’s what I would recommend unless it is a particularly easy one. I don’t understand what GBS has to do with it.

• August 21, 2019 at 5:26 pm

Thanks GH. In fact she called her neurologist who said much the same thing … don’t worry !

• October 2, 2019 at 10:21 am

I’m a little late to the post, but wanted to share. I had GBS in 2017 and had a failed root canal extracted in April, and everything went very well. I wouldn’t be concerned with any extractions. What I would not have done is anything invasive that stays in the body as a foreign object such as root canals, or implants, in my personal opinion I wouldn’t want to risk another root canal infection plus waste all the money to have the tooth removed anyways.

• October 2, 2019 at 12:02 pm

thanks for the reply Morany. Timing is not issue, I think its good to document all these anecdotes that provide a resource for all.
      In Sue’s case she had the extraction 3 weeks ago and it all went just fine and better yet, she was able to negotiate the dentist office with just a cane… bye bye walker!