Tomorrow i will write at length…but right now just want to know about giving blood

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2007 at 9:43 pm

So the quick question is…are we, as CIDPers, disallowed from giving blood? I think probably yes but..as i have no real proof of this..figured someone here might know for sure. Occasionally when the blood banks call i ask them, but never have gotten a definite answer.
      To all peace and blessed be…i’ll see y’all tomorrow for an extended gripe session;) I really should find a different “hobby”

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 4:35 am

Here in the UK we can’t give blood. 🙁

Deb

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 7:58 am

Hi,
      That’s a good question. My husband and I always donate to Lifesource and I don’t ever remember a question coming up that would exclude someone with CIDP unless when they ask about medications you are taking. Once you tell them what meds. you are on that may be when they say you can not give. I hope you get an answer without the emotional let down of being rejected at the blood center. As a caregiver who always donates, because I remember when there were shortages of IVIG and we had problems getting it for our daughter, it emotionally hurts to be told your iron is too low to give blood.
      Good Luck,
      Cindy

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 8:44 am

An individual with CIDP has unhealthy blood wherefore needs to receive blood product from healthy persons. I believe that in donating you are putting another’s health at risk. There is so much that we don’t know, about GBS/CIDP, why chance it? . . .

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Please remember that the person(s) receiving your donated blood does not have any way of knowing you have CIDP, and therefore doesn’t have the choice about taking the risk.

Someone else’s health may be depending upon your choice.

• March 14, 2007 at 7:06 am

I was told by a friend who works at the bloodbank that they won’t take my blood because of the disease and the meds. Pretty much a double no-no there.

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Ok..so I figured right then. Thank u all for letting me know for sure.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 7:26 am

I asked the same question and was referred to someone “higher up” but when I called she did not know either… She told me to call back, but when I called back, she still did not know… Several months later I called and she said that she had found out that it was “okay” for me to give blood… THEN when I said that I was just concerned that my blood was tainted and I would not for the world want to give this to someone else she said, “Oh, no… It’s not about your blood that we are worried… It is because it might be harmful to you if you gave blood…” Needless to say, I was extremely suspicious and have not given blood despite what she said…

Any of our medical people here have a definitive answer..???

Aimee

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 1:22 pm

Aimee

I cant believe that she said it wasnt about your blood. Of course its all about your blood, we all know that :rolleyes: . In anycase these are some guidelines i found on the web – which im sure all of you are aware of.

[quote][IMG]http://www.massgeneral.org/blooddonor/images/BloodDrop_11.jpg[/IMG] Temporary Blood Donation Deferrals

You should not donate blood if, in the past year, you have:
      • had sex, even once, with anyone who
      • has taken money or drugs in exchange for sex
      • has AIDS or a positive test for AIDS
      • has given themselves non-prescription drugs by needle
      • (for women) had sex with a man who has had sex with another man, even once, since 1977
      • had or been treated for syphilis or gonorrhea
      • had a blood transfusion, organ transplant, tattoo, skin piercing or needle-stick injury.

Other temporary blood donor deferrals:
      • are pregnant or are less than 6 weeks post-partum.
      • taking antibiotics w/in 48 hours.
      • your[URL=”http://www.massgeneral.org/blooddonor/bdc_iron.htm”%5D%5BCOLOR=#0000ff%5D iron[/COLOR][/URL] level is too low

[IMG]http://www.massgeneral.org/blooddonor/images/BloodDrop_11.jpg[/IMG] Permanent Blood Donation Deferrals [URL=”http://www.massgeneral.org/blooddonor/bdc_can.htm#top”%5D
      [/URL]You should not donate blood if you have:
      • have had any forms of Cancer with the exceptions of Basal Cell Skin Cancer or treatment for in situ Cervical Cancer
      • have had a Heart Attack
      • have had Hepatitis (viral)
      • have ever traveled to or lived in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland Wales, The Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands) for a total of three months between the years of 1980 and 1996 or traveled to or lived anywhere in Europe for a total of five years since 1980. There are some exceptions regarding military bases. For questions regarding travel, please call (617)726-8177.
      • want a blood test for AIDS or HIV
      • have any signs or symptoms of AIDS such as: fevers, night sweats, unexplained weight loss, cough, diarrhea, swollen glands, white spots in the mouth, or purple or blue bumps on the skin
      • have given yourself a non-prescription drug by needle (including steroids) even once
      • have ever taken clotting factor concentrates
      • (for men) had sex with another man, even once, since 1977
      • have taken drugs or money for sex since 1977 [/quote]

Note what is said about chronic illensses:
      [quote]
      [B]Chronic Illnesses[/B]
      Most chronic illnesses are acceptable as long as you feel well, the condition is under good control, you have an adequate hemoglobin level and your temperature is normal when you come to donate, and you meet all other eligibility requirements.
      [/quote]

Personally, I dont think it would be fair for me to donate blood (I am excluded in anycase because of the Europe exclusion). In and earlier thread I questioned organ donation, as I felt that the blood would no longer be in the organ, and, if i was dying and had the option to have an organ from a patient who has had GBS or CIDP, I would definitely chose life with that organ. Soooo, on my drivers license it still says im an organ donar ……

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Ali,

You are the reseacher extrordinaire! Thanks yet again for finding the facts.:)

SuzyQ

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2007 at 1:45 am

I will ask this question to our area blood donation people tomorrow-i’m taking my husband in for his 5 gallon mark donation. i’ll have her write it down for me, so there will be no doubt in my mind as to her answer.:)

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Per The American Red Cross in Ohio, people with GBS/CIDP can donate blood, as long as the said patient is in a remission state-in between relapses, not experiencing any bad residuals at the time of donation, and not going to put yourself into a bad way because of the donation. if one is receiving ivig at the time one wants to donate-no go. if you are in between ivig treatments and feel good, with no bad side effects, then it is a go. This comes from A Dr with The American Red Cross.
      the receptionists that i asked had never heard of GBS/CIDP, she was very happy to have been enlightened about the syndromes.
      and as usual, if your iron levels are not up to their levels for donations, you can not donate until the levels are to their liking. According to the Dr since GBS/CIDP does not have a direct effect on the blood cells themselves it is possible for donations. The Dr also stated that it would only be possible for a GBS/CIDP person to be a single donor rather then a double red cell donor, and not recommended to be a plasma donor at all, the platelets are seperated from the plasma at the Red Cross-behind the scenes so to speak. I learnt alot in just 45 mins, about the prep of the donated blood and all. very cool.:cool:
      [COLOR=darkred][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#8b0000]STARVE MOSQUITOS_GIVE BLOOD!!:) [/COLOR]