Tingling in legs and arms

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 4:17 pm

Does anyone know what causes tingling (no Pain) in legs, knees down and arms, elbows down? My husband thinks it’s nerves being restored.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 12:54 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t but would like to as I have that also along with pain I hope someone lets know

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 2:09 pm

Hi,
      Early on in my recovery there was not only “tingling” and odd sensations (very difficult for GBS survivor’s to describe, even to each other), there was also pain, and wild electric shock sensations. The electric shocks would come without warning and were very painful. I was told by my doctors in rehab that this was all “a very good thing” even though it hurt so much, it meant that nerves were healing and starting to make connections again.

Now having had an incomplete recovery I still get daily tingling and odd sensations, and pain (especially below the knees) due to the residual damage I have been left with from the original GBS attack. As more time passes I have found that you get better at sorting out weird sensations from each other and the “abnormal”(pre-GBS) becomes the “normal” (post-GBS).

It can be frightening for a GBS survivor as they start their recovery and are trying to sort all these sensations out, but it is normal for the process…..and though it doesn’t make the pain or sensations easier to take, for me anyways, knowing I wasn’t alone in this made a tremendous difference…..(those horrible electric shocks I used to get, I actually came to welcome as I learned it meant the restoration of function…….)

Here’s a “blurb” from [url]http://www.angelfire.com/home/gbs/[/url]
      (I found this to be an excellent article on GBS…helped me early on)

“Not infrequently, after apparent recovery from Guillain-Barre’ syndrome, patients may experience the recurrence of abnormal sensations, typically in the lower and/or upper limbs. They may consist of numbness, decreased sensations, tingling, burning, a sense of worms crawling under the skin, pain, muscle spasms or cramps in the form of severe Charlie Horses, and a variety of other disconcerting symptoms that the patient may even have difficulty describing.”

my very best wishes to all,

CG ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 2:24 pm

๐Ÿ™‚
      Thank you so much I thought maybe I was going crazy you do not know how much this has helped as I do not have any family support and they think I just imagine these things so now I do not say anything.
      Carol

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 2:44 pm

I had those back in January of this year and that had turned out to be a relapse. I don’t mean to scare you but you might want to get that checked out. When you have something like this a relapse can creep up on you and it would be hard to tell. The type of test you would want to ask your neuro about is an NCV test. What happened to me was that I went to the emergency room and then they did the test. After that they feed me with 5 days of IVIG and I was better even though I am still in a wheelchair. Take care.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 9:49 pm

i describe my worse pains as sparklers in my veins. on july 3rd and 4th, when i saw kids with those sparklers, it just drove me crazy. i cringe at the thought of those things, and my hands ache really bad.:eek:

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Thanks, CJ, for the blurb. Everyone is very encouraging. Get a little down. The folks in this forum help build up the spirit. Hope to meet many of you at the International Symposium at Phoenix, AZ Nov 3-5.

Peg

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 12:46 am

I felt the tingling and pain both during and recovery period of GBS, the only thing I noticed during my recovery was that my hand stopped feeling hot sensations and stopped excessive sweating

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 11:29 am

:rolleyes:
      What is NCV Test

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 11:40 am

In my experience, I have shooting pains in my toes. On a scale of 1-10, they are about an 8, but they only last for a few seconds. Sometimes I feel like someone is jabbing a push-pin into my feet at different locations. And the nerves on the soles of my feet are so sensitive, I always feel like I’m walking on gravel. My fingers also “draw” or pull into odd contortions, but I can easily push them back to where they’re supposed to be. Isn’t this a trip?? You just never know what’s going to happen next! God bless you and may you get better soon, Piano Woman

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 8:55 pm

An NCV test is called a nerve conduction velocity test. It test the speed that one point travels through the nerve the doctor is pinpointing. I’ve noticed that the past 2 weeks I have had “shooting” pains in my lower leg. My leg will just jerk up while I’m reading in bed, real frustrating. Any way hope this helps. Take care.

Steven

• July 21, 2006 at 9:43 pm

I don’t know what causes it….but after 11 months my hands and feet still do.
      My right foot feels like I have bunched up socks…A voluteer at my rehab hospital had GBS 6 years ago and still has tingling…..I can deal with that … I can now walk, talk and do without a diaper….Life IS good.
      The best!
      Al