Therapies for Facial Palsy?

• December 10, 2020 at 7:01 am

9 months ago I had a severe form of GBS including paralysis on one side of the face (unilateral facial palsy). Since then, I’ve significantly improved except for the facial paralysis.

Has anyone tried invasive or non-invasive therapies or procedures for GBS-related facial palsy (e.g. needling, ESTIM, massage, surgical procedures)? Have you experienced any improvements?

It’s been said that improvements can occur as late as 2 years from the onset and beyond. However, I am wondering if it’s just a waiting game or recovery can be stimulated, especially as muscles become atrophied after long-term paralysis.

• December 10, 2020 at 4:18 pm

You should look into Miller Fisher Syndrome as it could be what has caused your facial paralysis. Here is an article that will better explain MFS:
      https://www.statpearls.com/ArticleLibrary/viewarticle/25164

• December 10, 2020 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for pointing out the article, Jim.
      Based on this and one other article, I doubt MFS was the cause since my first affected nerve groups were in the legs and not in the head, and there were no symptoms of ataxia nor ophthalmoplegia.

• December 10, 2020 at 8:56 pm

In my case MFS followed GBS by 4-6 weeks, followed by CIDP. Plasma Exchange stopped my MFS and was the key to curing it for me.