Symptoms before CIDP attacks

• January 9, 2018 at 11:10 pm

Before my CIDP attacks, I suffer intense tremors, vertigo, and pallor. Once that stops, bam, the weakness hits my legs. Does anyone else get this cycle?

This time it attacked my hands and made them half numb. Now its starting to get into my wrists and creep up my forearms. Sigh.

It also seems to prefer to attack one side of the body harder than the other. Why?

• January 10, 2018 at 2:26 pm

I don’t get those symptoms, but my CIDP seemed to hit my right side a bit more than the left. A year after, my right ankle still feels weak and my left is just fine.

As far as hitting your hands and forearms, that is part of the glove and sock effect. Time to see your doctor.

• January 10, 2018 at 6:59 pm

I was interested to read both of your posts.I have similar symptoms of numbness and weakness in my hands and feet due to CIPD.
      Would you mind explaining what the glove and sock effect is, as I have not heard that expression used before.

• January 10, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Typically, CIDP hits from the knees on down and from the elbows on down.

Thus, it was nicknamed glove and sock effect.

• January 15, 2018 at 6:31 am

It’s Polyneuropathy meaning both sides of the body like a mirror effect. However in my case flare ups are never equally distributed on both sides of my body. I would say 75% of my flare ups start on my left but I may have flare ups that affect both legs and my left arm and my right arm is fine. I also have much more major nerve damage on my left side of my body then my right according to EMG’s. It’s never the same.
      When it was getting close to IVIG time the little things like sock and glove, twitches, hand, knee and lower leg tremors are always both sides of my body starting same exact times.
      Talk to your Neuro and ask him to explain your EMG results and which nerves are damaged on which sides of your body to give you a better idea. Remember CIDP is different for everyone. We all share some common symptoms but we also have some that are unique to each of us.