Stomach pains anyone?

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 9:52 am

I know I’ve posted about this before & got some great advice. Now I’m wondering if anyone else experiences this.

Emily will sometimes get horrible stomach pains. I’m talking crying, screaming, sweating kind of pain. I’ve taken her to her pediatrician – he has no idea what is going on. Her neuro referred us to a gastro dr. The gastro took some blood, saw that Emily’s iron was slightly low (from the IVIG) & told me she was anemic & he needed to do exploratory surgery. I wasn’t comfortable with it because his only reason was the low iron & the neuro refused to allow it anyways. Emily’s been put under anesthesia 8 times since being dx’d & we’d like to avoid it anymore if possible.

The pediatrician & the gastro dr’s both pushed on her abdomen which they said felt fine. Her bowel movements are normal – no constipation issues or loose stools. She drinks plenty of water & eats plenty of fiber.

Anyways…

Emily always complains about the pain being around her belly button. She describes it as a circle of pain all around the belly button.

We’ve always thought it was gas. Gas-X isn’t working so well right now for it. She usually wakes up every morning with the pains & goes to the bathroom. She says having a bowel movement will make it feel a little bit better but it doesn’t always work. She called home from school yesterday because it hurt too bad. Once she was home & ate lunch she felt better & asked to return to school.

There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to this pain. I can’t figure out what causes it. Her dairy intake is limited & she hasn’t eaten any gassy foods. I did increase her fruit & veggie intake after the pain started hoping that a diet change might help. It hasn’t.

I looked through my folder & realized the last time she had pains like this was last October and the time before that it started in the summer & stopped in the fall.

Anyone ever heard of seasonal stomach pains?

Thanks
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 10:56 am

It might pay to get a CT Scan of her pancreas and it’s possible she is suffering from Irritable Bowel. That stuff is painful as you know what. I have Diverticulitis and pain is around that area and my mom has Pancreatitis. Both didorders can cause extreme pain and came come and go just like irritable bowel. Someone with IBS starting out can get inflammtion of the Diverticula and that can cause irritation to the bowel and leading to terrible pain. Funny you mentioned this about seasonal! In the summer, I am bad and the pain seems worse. Heat for some reason aggitates it! I would reccomend her getting checked. Pancreatitis is something that even children can get and not trying to scare you but in children with that is call kill! Another thing that could cause pain around her belly button area is her possibly passing a kidney stone! Now that hurts! It might pay to get her checked out. Diverticulitis at times can put a person in the hospital requiring treatment. Sometimes surgery! In children is can cause many problems. Bleeding around the area causing blood loss and also causing anemia!
      The only reason they found me having Diverticulitis was me having IBS at first. This past summer, I got the IBS syndrome and got really bad pain. When I went to get off the toilet there was a huge massive puddle of blood. Ohh that scared me to death. We went to the ER and they did a CT Scan and saw Diverticulitis. The bleeding was coming from that. They had to treat me for a while and I still have spells now from that area. Eventually that area will stay sore alot because it’s showing inflammation at the time. I can tell when mine starts getting inflammed for I start getting sore feeling in that area and then call my doctor up letting him know it’s inflammed again. Too much IBS can cause other problems down the road. It would pay to get her checked. It is something abnormal going on and may need treatment.
      Ohh! An appendix too can cause this also. Attacks on the appendix but comes and goes until it eventually becomes ready for removal making that person get real sick then!

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 11:40 am

Kelly, wish I could help. I would think her pediatrician should be all over this. There are hundreds of things it could be and I wouldn’t even know where to begin as I am not a dr. Just a thought because it seems seasonal….allergies? You might also want to consider stress….It starts in summer and ends in and around October. Could she be stressed out about starting school and once she settles in and gets comfortable with her teacher and the class, the stress is alleviated and the pain goes away. Stress can do so much to us and especially children who do not understand how to deal with it. I don’t know. Food for thought.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Kelly,
      My son used to have stomach pains from holding his bowel movements and not going when he felt the urge to go. They sometimes can’t go or will hold it, especially while in school, with friends, playing sports and other inconvenient times.
      Just a thought
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I am currently suffering with pain. mine is in the upper abdomen. and recently tested positive for H. Pylori Bacteria. It has mad me extremly fatigued aneimic (sp) bowel movements eatting not eating nothing currently helps. I do belive that I have had some blood in my stool. I am just finishing a 14 day PREVPAK and being put on another med to reduce stomach acid and pains but not working so I Will be in to get a scope of my stomach. I had a colonoscopy just last year and all was ok there. there could be an ulcer or something to that effect to going on with her. make sure that you let the doctor know that you are needing an answer. and to do everything they can test wise to figure out what is going on before they take the extreme measure of surgical procedures. good luck and never give up.

We are brought into each others lives for a purpose the purpose may not be apparent at first but we will see the reason in due time.;)

• October 9, 2008 at 12:51 pm

I was just going to post a question about this and saw yours first. I’ve had IBS for a few years, my mom had it too. Lately I have had a devil of a time with my digestive system. If I eat, it gets upset and I have bloating and pain, I don’t eat I get the same thing. Not regular so I added fiber, no help. Now, when I first got sick it felt as if my system was so numb it didnt work. I assume that was the start of things to come. She may have IBS. The interesting ‘clue’ was she feels better after a BM. Her intestines may be over reacting and in turn causing pain. A scan may help rule out anything major, but exploratory surgery sounds a bit over the top right now. Especially since they cant feel anything…like a mass or whatever. Keep a journal of what she eats, how she reacts, and what relief she gets.

Gas X doesnt help me either. I take two at a time and nothing. Peppermint green tea sometimes offers relief as does a hot water bottle. I am going to give daily yogurt a try, and am also trying to drink two glasses a day of Green Machine by Naked Juice. My dr told me that we have serotonin receptors in our intestines. I had no idea. So he gave me to okay to pick up more Hylands or Boiron Hypericum Perferatum (st johns wort, but a diluted version). Dr’s often perscribe anti depressants for IBS, I cant take Rx versions anymore, but the homeopathic version I handle just fine.

I was also tested for H pylori because of a burning stinging sensation right above my belly button that would also cause chest burning and misery. He said is sounds like an ulcer so we will find out once the test results are in.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 12:51 pm

๐Ÿ™ That is not good about Emily!

I feel so bad for all of us that have to suffer pain but I even feel worse when its the kids!

I agree with others it might be worth a trip back to doc office.

They can check all sorts of things out without surgery, blood work and scans can show lots of things.

I have a thought…could it be from sitting in the same position at school in a desk for so many hours? Might be worth to see if pain is only on school days?

Take care
      Rhonda

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I forgot to add that Emily has had a CT scan & X-rays of her abdomen. Nothing shows up. The dr’s have no clue. When she was in the hospital during her 1st relapse the stomach pain started & the dr’s acted quickly on it. Then when she was in the hospital with her central line infection she had them again & it was looked into by another dr. Nothing shows up & they are stumped.

I also notice that when we stretch her IVIG out further & she’s having these stomach pains they seem to go away. At one point I was thinking it might be caused by the Heparin. Apparently it’s a side effect in the tainted Heparin that was recalled not long ago.

It’s not her appendix. It’s already been checked out & was found to be fine. No blood in her stools & they are all normal healthy stools.

I should also add that after adding a daily vitamin supplement with iron her blood draws have all come back within normal range & she is no longer considered anemic. It was determined that the IVIG was the cause of the low iron along with Emily just naturally having low iron. She does have naturally low potassium as well. If she eats potassium rich foods a few times a week (mostly potatoes because bananas can cause constipation) then her potassium levels are fine.

It’s not her liver or kidneys. Those have been checked too.

She’s been tested for Celiacs, put on a no dairy diet & took lactose intolerance meds to see if they would help. Made no difference.

I restricted her carbs, added protein, took away protein, added yogurt, switched to organic milk – basically just about everything that can be tried, I’ve done.

She was tested for H Pylori & the test came back positive but we believe it was from the IVIG. Apparently the IVIG can affect the test. The neuro ordered the gastro to treat her for HP anyways.

She has pain everyday. It’s mostly in the morning. It seems to go away after she eats as well. She is allowed to have an extra snack at school to prevent the stomach pains.

I should also note that my husband has similar stomach pains & went through every test known to man kind to get some answers. No one ever figured out what his problem is. We just say that the 2 of them have a rare Nigerian stomach disease, LOL.

IBS might be a better fit. I’ll have to talk to her dr about it. The funny thing is she had her 7 year check up with her pediatrician a few weeks ago & he asked about the stomach problems. I told him they seemed to go away & then a week later they showed up again.

She will sometimes say she has a stomach ache & then a few minutes later she’ll pass gas & the pain goes away. She likes to put a pillow on her stomach or lay the pillow on the floor & then lay with her stomach pushing into the pillow. She says it helps.

I’m thinking about giving her Tums to see if it has a psychological affect on the pain. I figure it can’t hurt, right?

Thanks for the suggestions all. I’ll let you know if I find anything else out.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I remember one of my neighbors when we were in school and she had a nervous stomach and would get doubled over spasms. She had a nervous stomach and took something for it but not sure what she took. I know with many of us that have nerve damage some motility problems can happen in the bowel causing the IBS. That IBS is very painful! Have had it for years! The weird thing is the season it happens in. Mine typically starts in warm weather right when it starts getting hot. And will last until it starts cooling down some. I still get spells in the winter but for some reason the summer months end up tearing my you know what up! LOL!
      It’s a pain I can’t describe! I went to several doctors too at first and nobody could find anything wrong. Test would show nothing. Even had a colonosopy and that came normal too. I take Bentyl for mine. But am also on Prevacid and Levbid along with Tums too! Mine started out as IBS but went in Diverticulitis in later years. The bleeding though is usually because of a small tear in the bowel. But if the bleeding stops then the tear sealed itself back up. But if the bleeding continues and does not stop then you better get to the ER real quick! That is when seepage can happen and poison the system. You can tell the difference being something else. Hemoroids can bleed too but you normally won’t have stomach pain with hemies! LOL!
      With her not bleeding though, she probably has IBS going on! Right after I get everything out of my system.. I quit having the stomach pain! It’s like the pain starts and get so bad that you feel like you are in labor. Sit on that toilet seat and rock back and forth trying to get it out of you! Once the last little thing comes out it’s like instant relief~ Now that is IBS!
      Heat can trigger mine, stress can trigger it and if a food don’t like me that day.. Look out! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2008 at 5:42 am

Kelly,
      Do you think some of it could be muscle spasms? I’ve noticed that my abdominal wall muscles will twitch like my leg muscles so it stands to reason they might get into those spasms like my legs even if I can’t really feel it. In my case it would account for the sudden on and off pains and maybe some of the hardness of my abdomen too. If you add up abdominal spasms with IBS bowel spasms it might account for the rapid onset and disappearance plus the fact they can’t find anything on scans… muscle spasms might not show up.

It’s something I’ve been thinking about with my own abdominal issues right now so I thought I’d throw it out there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2008 at 9:11 am

Hmmm….Julie, that’s interesting. I never thought of that.

It’s definetly something to consider.

She woke up this morning with her usual stomach ache & headed for the bathroom. I gave her a Tums this morning & after about 5 minutes she stopped complaining of any pain. Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not. I’ll have to see how she does every time I give her one.

Thanks for the suggestion,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2008 at 10:14 am

I have to add in here, as I get spasms in my stomach muscles and they hurt!!! I find I get them when I have been curled up and then go to move. I find that stretching on my back helps a lot. I try to do the stretch along the same lines as you would when you have a charlie horse. I lay on my back or if I am standing, I reach my arms high above my head and pull upwards which stretches the stomach muscles out. Maybe you could try this with Emily and see what happens.

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2008 at 3:31 am

I have stomach pains like you describe and they are worse in summer until around oct. nov. but I have had some experiences other times but not as bad and everything you describe is similar to what happens with me. My dr dx irritable bowel and he says that goes along with cidp and alot of autoimmune diseases.
      On the other hand my son has had similar pain due to megacolon from the mild spina bifida occulta which basically is the only problem from it and the dimple above is rear. The worst was from adhesions from different surgeries he has had which did not show up on any xray,ct or tests but they have done surgery twice now for adhesions where they removed between 25 and 38 adhesions. This said there are many things it could be including stress but try to get her ped. gastro and neuro together on anything they collectively agree to try. surgery for the unknown seems drastic but then sometimes it is the only way to find out what is wrong but try everything else first! my thoughts and prayers will be with you and I hope Emily can find relief for this because it is horrible to go through.