SS Disability &Medicare

• May 30, 2017 at 1:25 am

I retired at age 61 7/31/15. Within two months, I was hospitalized with a skin infection and lost my ability to walk. By the end of 2015, I had five surgeries: two for the skin infection, cataracts in both eyes and when paramedics insisted on my trying to walk, surgery for a shattered right ankle.

I applied for Social Security whe I turned 62 and asked about disability at that time. After filling out a questionnaire and being check out by the SS doctor, I discovered I had been approved when checking my bank account and discovering a deposit for $12,500 which quickly disappeared when my nursing home asked for $12,000 three days later.

At the time, a neurologist was still trying to figure out why I coudn’t walk and came up with the diagnosis of CIDP in November 2016. It has been an ongoing battle to get treatment. Between the doctor messing up the IVig prescription causing the insurance to deny me, the nursing home refusing the infusion service to treat me, the infusion center turning me down because I coudn’t walk then finally getting the okay for five days in the hospital for the infusion ONE TIME only, it has been very frustrating for me. Since the IVig at the end of March, I have had five days of Prednisone and six days of Solumedrol, with good results but it has messed up my blood sugar.

I am also being treated for retinal bleeding with steroid injections in my eyes. I good vision in my left eye but the right one is messed up.

Now here is my question: When I was in the hospital, the partner of my neuro suggested that since I am on disability that I might qualify for Medicare before I turn 65, which is two years away. I have tried finding out on the Medicare website, but it isn’t very helpful.

Has anyone gotten Medicare before the age of 65?
      -As of August 1st, I will have been considered disabled for two years.
      -I currently have insurance provided by my former employer (Blue Shield PPO) which is supposed to cover me until I get Medicare, but I don’t know what will happen if I get it early
      -My income is a pension, SS and disability, which is a nice amount, but still about $1500 a month less than my nursing home bill, and I also am keeping my house up and running for my 91 year old friend who is taking care of it and the cats. I do not believe that I can qualify for MediCal.
      -I have no family to help me out

• jk
      June 3, 2017 at 9:14 am

Yes. It is possible to get Medicare while on Social Security disability prior to age 65. And, yes, I did.

But. You have to wait two years.

“We automatically enroll you in Medicare after you get disability benefits for two years. The two parts of Medicare we enroll you in are hospital insurance and medical insurance. ”

Use this ssa.gov website: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/dapproval4.html

Please call them (SSA) when you have questions. “Most people have both parts of Medicare. If you have questions about this coverage, you can contact Medicare toll-free at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to speak to a Medicare Customer Service Representative.”

More from that page: “Help For Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries If you get Medicare and have low-income and few resources, your state may pay your Medicare premiums and, in some cases, other Medicare costs for which you are normally responsible such as deductibles and coinsurance.

Only your state can decide if you qualify for this assistance. To find out if you do, contact your state or local welfare office or Medicaid agency. “

• June 3, 2017 at 10:16 am

Jk –

Thanks you very much for your reply and information. I had asked the social worker two months ago if she could help me find out about this. When I was declared disabled it was made retroactive to when I retired from my job 8/1/15, so I will hit the two year mark in two months.

But I am not low-income. I have a good pension, along with SS would be great except the I have to pay $7500 per month for the nursing home, plus medical copay, transportation costs as well as the bills for keeping my house. That puts me $1500 to $2000 in the hole ry month. The outgo exceeds my income.

It is very soon going to get to the point that I won’t be able to afford proper care, and I am panicking. Besides CIDP, I also have bad eyesight due to retinal bleeding, so looking up things is a real issue.

Take care and thanks again.

• June 3, 2017 at 10:16 am

Jk –

Thanks you very much for your reply and information. I had asked the social worker two months ago if she could help me find out about this. When I was declared disabled it was made retroactive to when I retired from my job 8/1/15, so I will hit the two year mark in two months.

But I am not low-income. I have a good pension, along with SS would be great except the I have to pay $7500 per month for the nursing home, plus medical copay, transportation costs as well as the bills for keeping my house. That puts me $1500 to $2000 in the hole ry month. The outgo exceeds my income.

It is very soon going to get to the point that I won’t be able to afford proper care, and I am panicking. Besides CIDP, I also have bad eyesight due to retinal bleeding, so looking up things is a real issue.

Take care and thanks again.