Spinal tap question

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 9:57 pm

Hi every [I][U]one![/U][/I] It’s nice to be back after our voyage over seas. How ever kind and considerate our hosts were, it is still nice to be home!
      Can anyone tell me what the protein count for GBS is in the spianal tap test?
      I think I remember 12 or 13 but I can’t remember if it is better above or below the magic number.
      A young woman has come to my attention at Church with a rather sudden case of stumbling. The doc’s seem to “[I]think[/I]” MS but…
      I know all the other tests, it’s just the spinal tap that escapes me.
      Thanks,
      KC

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 10:06 pm

kc,

45 & above is indicative of inflamation. i think normal is 3 or under. an mri of the spine & brain can rule on ms. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 10:07 pm

K C 1
      I don’t remember, but I think your #12 sounds right. I do remember that G B S shows lots of protein in the spinal fluid. I know that is useless info, but just wanted to reply to you.

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2006 at 12:43 am

Gene is right on the number. 45 is around “normal” Mine, with CIDP was 56. Not enough for a BIG RED FLAG, but enough for more tests to determine a diagnosis.

Dick S

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 12:23 am

KC1-My protein count on a moderate case (I was lucky) of GBS was 69. I don’t know exactly what that meant but it was enough to get the attention right now of the neurologist.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 11:03 am

Hi,
      BOY, I think I’m the only one who doesn’t know what their protein count was and except for a mother and father who would die for me, I have a family who’s too busy with their own lives to care. I had my neurologist for five years and my brother never even sat down to talk to him.

I have pages of copies of medical charts from the day I was diagnosed, but I still don’t have anyone who wants to sit down and look at them with me. I went through five neurologist’s during the first year and a half and none of them explained much to me.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 6:29 pm

Liz I also don’t know my protein count. My neurologiost did the spinal tap and told me the result didn’t show I had CIDP but she didn’t give the number she called me at work to tell me that. Also when I got my nerve biopsy it was normal also.

Sue

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 8:38 am

I can’t remember what mine was but it came back normal. and they say I have CIDP:confused:

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 2:48 pm

my mri showed an infection along the spinal area somewhere-thats how they determined i might have gbs in aug 05. my csf was 53 or somewhere in that area. the neuro who treated me that time told me it was ok. so i don’t think you can go by just csf numbers to make a dx, at least in my case they wouldn’t and didn’t. my other taps have all showed different numbers, from 200 down to 50s. i think it depends on the dr as to the reading and dx making, even though most still think in such a small box with blinders on.:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 5:57 pm

I know when i was diagnosed my total protein was elevated, and the neuro said that thats the #1 indicator of GBS. He did not run any more tests and put me in the hospital. I work in a hospital laboratory now and we run protien levels on csf to determine diagnosis.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 6:05 pm

Frank’s CSF number was in the 400 something range.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 6:48 pm

Welcome Kristen, glad you found us 🙂

Jerimy

[quote=misskristen]I know when i was diagnosed my total protein was elevated, and the neuro said that thats the #1 indicator of GBS. He did not run any more tests and put me in the hospital. I work in a hospital laboratory now and we run protien levels on csf to determine diagnosis.[/quote]

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Did anyone else have really high protein levels like my Frank did? Just very interested in the numbers. 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 9:07 pm

Man I wish I could remember Donna, they called mine super high but I don’t think they were anywhere near Frank’s 400. I think I will ask my Neuro when I see him later this month.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 9:59 pm

brandy,

i think mine was around 130. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2006 at 10:58 pm

I know it was over 4 years ago, but I seem to remember my neuro saying my first spinal tap (had 3 in 3 months) was over 300. I was very sick then, but have always had a gift at remembering numbers. Maybe that’s why I used to teach math?
      Pam