Slapped into Menopause or perimenopause

• August 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

Has anyone noticed weight gain. Not from prednisone, I am not on that. But since diagnosed with CIDP I have put on about 15 pounds. Maybe it is because I am afraid to exercise because after I do, I pay for a few days with tingling and pain. So I have only been taking very slow, short walks now. My metabolism seemed to have slowed down since diagnosed with CIDP. I also have been put into what seems like menopause or perimenopause since early this year. My doctor did a test and said that it shows I am in perimenopause. I have been having hot flashes often through out the day and now the weigh gain or menopad as I call it (fat around my belly). But I swear this all started after starting the IVIG treatment. Maybe it is cohincidence and I would have gone into perimenopause anyway buy it seems early for me, I am only 47. I have not had a period since early spring. Has anyone experienced this happening to them? Are hormones a no-no for us with CIDP? I don’t have an appointment until later this year with my neurologist and will mention this again to him. But he said no data on CIDP causing this in women. But then sometimes we have things happen that are not documented in the text books. Just wondering thats all.

• August 30, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I am 47 years old with cidp too–but have not had any signs of menopause yet–still very regular menstrual cycle. Many of my high school friends have said they have stopped having regular cycles and are in peri-menopause. So its hard to say if cidp played a role in yours or if you may have started anyway?? Do you have older sisters or mother—you could see when they started, that might give you an idea for your self…..best of luck with it—just what you needed on top of a new cidp diagnosis–right!!! But i guess it’s inevitable–part of being a woman. Lori

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

If you’ll check around on the forum, you’ll find that some of the posters here experienced menopause after GBS-CIDP hit them. I also know of an old friend who got menopause at age 36 after being affected by a neurological illness. There are also many of us on our forum who have gained a lot of weight since GBS due to our lack of mobility and a change in metabolism.

I’ve never had the IVIG or any medication for the condition, so I know that I can rule out those factors in my own sudden menopause and rapid weight gain over the past 3 3/4 yrs. I was already on corticosteroids for asthma since 1993, had a good, athletic build & weight stability till GBS hit me. Since then my waist has changed because I just can’t bend and move like I did before this happened. During onset, I lost about 15 lbs. within a few weeks. But after I stabilized a few months later, I gaining it back, and since then, although I’m eating less, I’ve still been gaining more weight, especially in my legs and waist (where I can only move awkwardly and slowly). Total weight gain since GBS: 57 lbs.

With strict diet and portion controls for the past few months, I’ve been able to lose about 10 lbs. I’m still about 22 lbs higher than my usual weight. Also helpful was developing a different way to exercise: lying down and doing leg and arm exercises. I cannot exercise much when standing up, it is actually detrimental, so I rest a lot after gardening, housework and errands. Another thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve been losing mass and muscle strength in my upper arms and shoulders, probably because my hands are on the walker handlebars whenever I go anywhere outdoors. My arms need to swing, so I’ve started doing exercises just standing on the floor and swinging my arms. It relieves a lot of the cramping and pain, and hopefully will build up some muscle again, if possible.

My point is that there were lots of major changes for me since GBS hit me.
      And I’m trying to find ways to achieve my best ‘new normal’. Some things I may not be able to change, but God help me to change the things I can.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I went through a very early menopause at 45, probably from the pred.