Seizures with GB

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2013 at 2:27 am

My sister, 47 yr old, diagnosed with GBS January 25th of this year has now developed seizures. Has anyone out there dealth with the same thing? Please note that she has been in the hospital consistenty since her date of diagnosis. She currently remains on the vent with minimal support. Any advice, input, guidance? I know this syndrome is one of small steps to recovery. However, with her having been in the hospital since 1/25/13, it has become very taxing on us as a family. I cannot imagine what she must be feeling. We continue to support and encourage her daily!

• GH
      April 15, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Do you have Parry and Steinberg yet?

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=10043451&matches=4&cm_sp=works*listing*title

“Seizures may occur, but this is extremely rare. These changes are not due to injury of nerves in the brain from immune system attack. The most common cause is impaired blood oxygen supply resulting from weakness of the muscles of respiration. Immediate attention should be given to the respiratory status of a patient who becomes confused. Diligent monitoring of breathing function and oxygenation can usually prevent this difficulty.”

• GH
      April 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm

And by the way, daily support and encouragement from friends and family is extremely important.

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2013 at 6:55 am

Hi… My dad who has been diagnosed since August 10, 2013 with Miller Fisher has now developed to have a mild seizures.. But the EEG didn’t show any seizures activity..
      What I want to know if the spasm or seizure is a good thing (sign that he can move and he’s actually improvig) or it is the other way around..
      Please kindly share with me.. 🙂

• GH
      October 25, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Annedarmawa, you are asking a medical question which can’t be answered here in the particular case. However as a general matter, Parry and Steinberg, in their well-known boom on GBS, report that the most common cause of seizures is insufficient blood oxygen. It is important to monitor this when breathing is impaired.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Very hard to give you any advise. Because the medical consultant give you the complete advise. Hope she get well soon.