Robotics Question

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Does anyone have experience with or know much about using robotic equipment to help exercise. Here in Oklahoma we have these places called Tan & Tone. The Tone is using these machines that you lay on and they move you around, and of course any additional resistance one can use will increase results. A co-worker said she heard that this equipment was good for Polio victims; hence, it would be good for GBS victims?!?!

I’m thinking this would be great to keep the fatigue down and get the stiffness out of my muscles and joints. AND maybe lose a size – which they advertise as a guarantee that in one month you will lose one size or your money back.

Now that I have a little bit of cash (from lawsuit against hospital that killed my dad) I thought this would be a good investment for a year’s worth.

Thoughts???

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Chrissy, I would try it if there were places around here. Just have to be careful not to overdo it, which sounds easier than it actually is.;) Let me know if you try it and like it.

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I would ask for a LONG free trial before I spent any money. Tell them you aren’t sure if you can tolerate it and if it’s that good, they won’t have a problem letting you try it for free….

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 9:22 am

Is this like where you lie on a machine for a period of time, then switch to the next machine? I tried one of these places out when I was still well & very physically fit & it exhausted me, so after just a few times I quit. Ask to try it out for a few times before you pay for any extended time.
      Pam

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 9:45 am

Chrissy I agree have them give you a trial month with no further obligation. See how you do doing that time.

For myself I got alot of good use out of the pool exercises to increase range of motion, balance, strenght and better breathing control and lung capacity to mention a few. Water work is great because it take the stress off the joints. Warm temps to the water help too. There is classes for all kinds of groups. Arthritis to Aerobics. I took Ai Chi and many of the martial arts classes in the pool. Also get yourself a Yoga tape…..go thru and try doing all the positions and keep trying. At first you might only be able to do one to their 8. Later you will see that you are increasing your abilities and actually enjoying your achievements. To stick to an exercise program you have to enjoy it. So pick something you enjoy! Steping thru the dance steps to your favorite song on the radio and reaching for the moon and stars. Smiling at the Sun. Slowly increase what you are doing. Remember to warm up and cool down after your exercises too. Doing just 5 minutes an hour will add up to over an hour a day of exercise. Also check out the tv there is many exercise programs on there that you can tape or you might even had the exercise channel to pick some programs from. I will watch a program and only do the floor exercises that day and the next day I will do the sitting exercises and then the next day I will try and do the standing exercises so I am not jumping up and down. Try and create for yourself a program that works the upper body and the lower body and the core muscles. There are many things you can do so enjoy!

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 10:26 am

Chrissy,
      I agree with KIT, water aerobics is probably the best exercise one can get for the residuals of any autoimmune illness. I have been doing water aerobics for almost 3 years now at our local YMCA & although I do get tired afterwards (probably from my time in the hot tub), I love the feeling of being in the water & also enjoy the socialization that I get from the people in my class. Our YMCA has a program subsidized by the MS Society of MN, so I pay only $25 for 7 weeks, twice a week. I don’t even have to be a member of the Y to join this class. It is a real bargain & gives me something to look forward to each week, also I know it is good for me if I don’t overdo it…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 10:33 am

Hi Chrissy – When I lived in OKC I actually went there and tried the excercise tables. They were running a special 6 week low price “trial’, however they really pressured to sign up for a year before the first session, I never sign on the dotted line when pressured so I said just give me the 6 weeks. I went 4 times and was in such pain that I went to bed for 2 full weeks. I was disappointed because it seemed to easy to lay on those tables and let them manuver me – also there were other people there who had been going for 6 months or more and they looked great – lost lots of inches. So I went back. I told them I had too much pain and to cut the timer on the tables back to 1/2 the normal time and I skipped the table that did the most aggressive moves. After just 2 times – I was back in bed for 2 more weeks. SO – if you decide to try – ask for a trial. If you tell them your problems they may even refuse your membership. Let us know if you do try how it works.

Alma

GBS-MFv 1993 and 2004

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 10:46 am

Thank you ladies for your replies. I am a bit concerned. I go today for a demo. They have a 1 month no contract deal but it is fairly expensive. I will certainly keep your comments in mind. I am taking an article on peripherial neurapthy with me. I am really hoping I can do this as my weight gain has really been bothering me. But I know I cannot afford to be down for any length of time to recover. I’ll report soon.

Thanks again!

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Ive been following this thread quite closely because I was wondering about doing this. I have tried every possible thing, including water robics, plain swimming, pilates, yoga, elyptical etc, but in everything i have tried, my feet and hands have awful pain. holding bars, standing on feet, or trying to keep ones balance in the water all leads to pain. However all the comments are good to know. I need to do something that doesnt involve feet or hands – what I dont know.

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Hey Allison, Good to hear from you ๐Ÿ˜€

Okay all, I am back from a demo – which would be the workout. I survived. One big thing I liked is that you are laying down and on your butt for the most part. One machine I almost fell off of, but was able to control really okay (surely my coordination would get better?!?!). It felt good to let the machine move me and stretch my tummy area. They started to give me weights to put on my feet, etc., but I said no to weights right now. So just using the machines I am happy to report I can still walk. I did a 29 minute routine. I told the girl I would have to see how I felt tomorrow before I could sign up (even for a month’s worth). At this point, I plan on going back in tomorrow and doing a one month deal ($96).

Oh, Allison, only on a couple of the machines did I have to hold on to a bar and I only felt the movement in my shoulders. My feet stayed happy and warm the whole time (you have to wear slip proof socks). And this place was for women only – one position was like at the doctor office’s with stirrups and all :p

I’ll keep in touch!

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Thank you for the update Chrissy! I may want to go and do a trial …. however not that keen on the hard sell. Let us know if you are able to walk tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜€ , just get Tiger to lay on your muscles to keep them warm tonight.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2008 at 2:14 pm

It’s amazing… I actually feel pretty good today! I can feel a few muscles that woke up, but I must have taken it easy enough as to not overdo it. Yeah! I plan to go back and sign up – maybe for a year due to the savings.

Alison, the girl I spoke with did not make a hard sell on me. I think with talking about my limitations, she wasn’t going to push me.

I am so looking forward to seeing myself not looking pregnant. A size down will be fine. My main issue is to feel better. Now I feel that there is a chance. I’ll check back in with everyone in a few weeks!

Thanks for your advice and support ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 7:32 am

Chrissy, good for you on trying new things…hoping it works out for you.
      I am interested in more info about this. I have to admit what first popped in my mind was the “old days” exercise equipment. I remember going to a gym with my sister or my mom and there was this thing that had wooden blocks or balls on it and you’d lean against it and it would jiggle the heck out of your rear and legs. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ It was suppose to roll out cellulite or something. you dont see that kind of equipment any more.
      I was really young…surprised I remember it.

I do nothing for exercise b/c of fatigue with my legs. I am very active as it is and to actually “work out”..just wouldnt go very well for me right now.

Please keep us posted on your new encounter !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Chrissy,
      Great info. It actually gives me hope. And Stacey, OMG with the wooden rolling machine memory!!! There was a name for the place and I am racking my brain. Something like Body something. Made me laugh to think of that cause I did the same thing with my Mom and sister. Anyway, I hope this works for you Chrissy. Keep us posted.
      Linda
      The Body Shop???

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

It has been a month or so and I have been doing the robotics exercising 3 times a week. Each session takes about 30 minutes. I have barely felt any left over feelings until this past Sunday. Ooops, I was really giving it my all and that was too much. I am now recuperating but have no plans of stopping. I am just taking a break for a few days.

I called my neuro for some muscle relaxers and since its been a year, I have to go in. So while there I will ask his opinion of these machines. Yes, you can just lie there and let them move you (and it feels so good) but they do say to resist the movement of the machines. That is what I was doing Sunday as hard as I could. Strange because on Monday I was fine. Tuesday I woke up with my left side having spasms and cramps from shoulder to feet. My left side was hit worse with GBS 11 years ago.

The real big good news is that they measured me and I have [B]lost 6.5 inches [/B]measuring 9 places on my body!!!!!! It doesn’t show that much in one spot, but I feel a lot more flexible and this is very, very exciting. I can bend over enough to dry my toes now! Lot of little things have improved.

So overall, I would give this program a 9.5 out of 10. The problem I have right now is my own fault. Go for it ladies ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll report again soon. And I would be happy to answer any questions.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2008 at 10:03 am

[SIZE=”3″][FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][COLOR=”DarkSlateBlue”]A BIG WOO-WOO TO YOU, CHRISSY! There is a new machine here called “jiggle and tone”. Do you have that one or know what that is? I was considering it. But back to YOU – YOU GO GIRL![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]