Repeat EMG and nerve conduction

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Hubby has CIDP–MADSAM and just had his EMG and nerve conduction tests repeated with his new neurologist (this one is closer to home and is much more patient focused). Everything is looking good over all. Hubby pointed out that he loses some hand function and has increased foot drop prior to IVIG treatments so he will knock the IVIG up and monitor the effect. He did chat about the current philosophy of prescribing IVIG to ideal body weight versus actual weight and says that is proving to be just as effective. But it was a very good appt. with some improvements noted on the nerve conduction and no more deterioration. He did think our recent holiday with lots of driving impacted on hubby and may account for increase in subjective symptoms of increased weakness in hand and foot. So on the next holiday we will fly instead of driving for days on end.

• April 13, 2012 at 1:54 am

That’s great to hear laurel!! Does he take any immunosuprresants or just the IVIG? it really amazes me how my muscle weakness can vary from day to day! If I get sick I can get set back where I can barely walk due to hip weakness. then other times I can run (not far of course), without difficulty, I think to myself maybe it was all in my head that I had trouble haha.. So glad he is doing better! 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2012 at 3:23 am

Hi Kelly. No he only takes the IVIG after having had a bad experience with Imuran. You’re right set backs can sure happen quickly and sometimes we forget how routine things can trigger one. Thanks for replying.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2012 at 7:57 am

Hi Laurel,
      Thank you for your update. I start my sixth dose of dexamethason tomorrow morning. After that I will have an evaluation with the neurologist in the first half of May. The fifth dose didn’t do a lot, so I am a little afraid that I have become immune for the prednisone-like medication. I will know more in a week’s time.
      Give Hubby my regards!
      His MADSAM colleague Willem