Red and bluish blotches on skin

• April 12, 2011 at 8:47 am

Hi, I just had my first IVIG infusion a few days ago. Last night I noticed on one of my legs I have a big reddish blotch on the knee and a lot of little bluish (looks like bruises) up and down my leg. They don’t hurt and my leg functions. Could this be a side effect of the IVIG infusions? Should I be worried?

• April 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

Do you still have the inserts from your ivig bottles? If not, you can go to your manufacturer’s sight to see side affects. Some people do have issues with viscosity, as well are you on coumadin or any other drugs that might make you bruise easily? If you are, maybe there is a conflict between the drug and ivig?The best answers come from either the manufacturer adverse reaction department or the pharmacisit that your drug came from.

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2011 at 10:45 am

I had this as well. I noticed it in my hands. Was so wierd looking. It went away though after a couple of day and really caused me no issues, other than looked wierd. Was well worth it though as the treatment has really helped me. I will take the blue/red skin over weakness anyday

• April 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm

My nurse for my doctor (who is out for a few days on vacation) wants me to come in and have more blood tests for the bruising. I think that is overkill and I really don’t want to. I did clean my car the day after my IVIG infusion and i was kneeling on my knees a lot. I bet this caused the bruising. The bruises seem to be healing up and no new one are showing up. I think it is fine but how do i tell my doctors nurse that I don’t want to run in for more blood tests. I am beginning to feel like a pin cushion!

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Chirpybirdy:
      Get used to the pin cushion thing. I saw my neurologist last Friday. I had to have EMG/NCV testing at his office before he actually saw me. Plenty of needles. Then my neurologist did a skin biopsy. More needles. Then the next morning I had my IVIG infusion. We blew three veins and finally got the line in on the fourth stick — after plenty of digging with the 22 guage needle. I tell everyone that if they’re afraid of needles they better never get CIDP.:D

• April 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

I am not afraid of needles but I don’t want to have unnecessary blood work drawn if I don’t have to. Not only to save my veins but they charge me a $25 co-pay every time I walk through the door. Anyway, the bruises seem like they are almost gone. My leg doesn’t hurt. I feel good all around. I canceled my blood test appointment. I am just going to watch and see if any more bruises appear for no apparent reason then i will have the blood tests.