Puzzling after affects

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm

My daughter was diagnosed and hospitalized with GBS in dec 2007 . Today we are in the hospital again due to some symptoms that appear to be from complex migraines. Since her bought with GBS she has received t reatment for severe abdominal pain , which was attributed to food allergies. She also struggled with chronic constipation for a while and urinary incontinence. is this all connected some how? is all of this common for a GBS patient?

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm

You don’t say how old your daughter is, but these all sound like symptoms of fibromyalgia. I had mild GBS almost 2 years ago and developed CFS/fibro as a result of this. It caused latent childhood viruses to reactivate and that can cause a myriad of symptoms. I would recommend going to a naturopath and putting your daughter on a Gluten-free/dairy free diet, to see if there are any changes. I myself did this and felt a lot better. A lot of people with autoimmune issues going on an anti-inflammatory diet and it makes a world of a difference, especially with gut issues. These problems stem from an inbalance of the gut. A probiotic has done wonders for me. I have my son on the Culturelle for kids and this has helped him. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2011 at 7:59 am

GBS Oct. 2007
      I did have constipation and urinary incontinence for months. GBS can also attack the nerves to the muscles of internal organs, that happened with me.
      If she has had these problems since the initial attack that could be what has happened to her.
      Good luck to her.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm

My daughter is 16 . Thanks for your input. None of the doctors we’ve seen about these issues made a connection to GBS . It’s as if it’s all a big coincidence. But I just can’t believe that. Any good books on avoiding gluten?

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2012 at 3:33 am

I had gbs bak in 2006 when i was 17 .. im now 6 years post  and i suffer with alot of these same issues, i battle constant constipation and diarrhea.. alolt of nausea and abdominal pain. i have no controle over my bladder, while i dont have accident i must use a catheter to void.  as was mentioned above gbs can damage all the nerves connected to digestion and any other autonomic systems. i too have cut out all lactosse and gluten from my diet and it has made a world of differnce in my energy and i have also seen improvements in my digestion. i would say it is worth looking into! …… i can say you daughter s lucky to have someone like u advocating for her!  never take ur situation as it is!…. there is always mote to learn out there and sometimes the smalles changes can make the biggest differance to the quality of life. !  if ur daughter wants to talk id me more then happy for her to contact me. sometimes its nice to have someone ur age who can relate on a different level.