Premedication with CIDP and Dental care

• December 12, 2018 at 9:20 am

I was recently diagnosed with CIDP. I had oral surgery yesterday and updated the dentist on my new diagnosis and that I was receiving IVIG. He said because I have an autoimmune disease I needed antibiotics and some antibacterial mouth wash.
      My question is this. Is this going to be a new thing for me, to have to pre medicate with antibiotics every time I see a dentist? I know if you have mitral valve prolapse you have to, so is this going to be the same? Just wondering if the autoimmune makes me susceptible to bacterial infections? Thanks.

• December 12, 2018 at 9:38 am

I have had CIDP for 8 years and have never been asked to do pre-antibiotics by my dentist. I don’t have a suppressed immune system, my immune system has gone crazy and is attacking the nerve coating but it does not affect my immune system. Your dentist is misinformed and thinks all autoimmune diseases affect the immune system. They don’t. Actually since I get IVIG every 5 weeks and have been getting IVIG every 5 weeks for 9 years I swear my immune system is better then it ever was. I NEVER get sick from colds and flu any more. I think it is because of the IVIG I get but not sure either. So talk to your dentist and ask him to read up on CIDP.

• December 13, 2018 at 7:32 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it does sound right that my immune system would be better now that I am receiving IVIG. Sometimes I think the dentist just wants to cover themselves. I will have to ask my neurologist this question when I see him. I hate taking antibiotics and having all the side effects that go with them.