prednisone and testing

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2011 at 4:51 am

Hi everybody – I’m pretty new here. I’ve gotten a lot of help from reading everybodies’ posts.

I’ve been on prednisone for about 7 months now (60mg/50mg – alternating and trying to taper).

I’m curious to see what kinds of testing you all are getting while on prednisone. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2011 at 5:54 am

I don’t get blood tests for prednisone usage, just for Cellcept and the routine ones to check for the progression/status of the illness.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm

You should have regular testing of blood sugar as prednisone elevates blood sugar. You should have scheduled eye exams with optometrist as prednisone causes cataracts. You should have had a preliminary bone density scan as prednisone causes osteoporosis and they need a base line. I believe regular calcium replacement meds are called for too. Prednisone is effective but very hard on your body and you need careful monitoring of all those things.
      Laurel
      My husband wasn’t put on Prednisone as he already has cataracts and borderline high blood sugar. Too risky for him.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Jaspr read the thread “Prednisone Hell”. It has lots of good info.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2011 at 4:23 am

Thanks for the information! I didn’t get a bone density test, but I will definitely talk to my doc about it. I am taking calcium, along w/ lots of other vitamins. Didn’t know about the cataracts – so thanks again.

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2011 at 2:40 am

Jaspr,

When I was taking prednisone, I tested my blood sugar daily. I had a bone density scan done once a year. I also took Pepcid to counteract excess stomach acid and Fosamax, calcium, and vitamin D to counter bone loss.

Many of the side effects, though, such as cataracts or psychiatric disturbances, have no widely accepted preventative treatments. You have to decide if the results are worth the cost.

~MarkEns