post tramatic stress

• March 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I was struck with GBS in 1998. The last 8 months I have times when my eyes close and I cannot open them. I am fully conscious of everything but cannot move or open my eyes. The neurologist says that is nothing neurological. This happens often, has this happened to anyone else?

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I guess that the lack of response here means that nobody else has this problem. Personally – I have trouble keeping my eyes SHUT! For a very long time I had to sleep in a night mask to hold them shut. Maybe the same problem in reverse?

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I am not sure why you mentioned Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Your neurologist said it wasn’t neurological. Well, that is HIS opinion. He may be right or he may have no idea so he used that excuse. If I were in your shoes, I would find a Naturopath if there is one in your area. If you cannot find one let me know. I might be able to help. Sometimes you are simply overloading your body with some food. I recently wrote an email on how soy cheese messed up my eyes. Left eye got blurry and I felt spacey. I cannot imagine what would have occurred if I had continued eating the soy cheese. Dr. Oz recently said that soy beans are fine but soy products are suspect. There is No way a doctor would have figured that out. Some of these really scary symptoms can be resolved. Eating tomatoes gave me painful bursitis. Luckily I stopped and the pain was gone in a day or two and I could move my left arm. Took a month or so til it completely resolved itself. Since your GBS was back in 98, it might have nothing to do with that. Do you have PTSD?

• March 19, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I don’t know, just grasping at straws thrown out by doctors

• November 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

turns out that it was no epileptic seizures brought on by stress

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]Hello Shirley,

I don’t know if this has happened to others exactly. But my instinct tells me that if you were perfectly fine prior to GBS, that your eye opening problem most likely is associated.

Pardon me if I speak out of turn, I don’t have GBS, I had CIDP. But the conditions are similar and when at my worst, I too had eye, mouth and other issues– clearly brought on by the nerve demyelination.

I know this is a point of controversy among some, but I feel the neurology profession is inadequately equipped to properly deal with and treat our conditions. The symptoms vary too much with each person, too little is known and egotism gets in the way, all too often, for proper care to ensue.

My advise to you is to seek second and even 3rd opinions and be your own strong advocate for your medical condition.

Perhaps what you are dealing with is only a residual– but it might be prudent to seek another opinion– perhaps at a teaching hospital.

I wish you the best!

Alice[/FONT]

• November 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm

once they told me what the problem was, I quit being so scared and problem resolved to a manageable level. Before I got GBS I was fine so I guess you could say this is a residual. For many years I refused to face the situation, when I did it was overwhelming. One day you are fine, next day you can’t move or breathe on your own. I am doing much better now