Port placement in upper arm

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jim-LA 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

edith
    Participant

I found this nice study on placing ports in the upper arm versus in the chest:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0091335

It sure seems an attractive alternative to me…

I was hoping those of you with ports in your arm might share your thoughts and experiences with me…

CIDPkillingme
    Participant

I recently had my 12th Port put in my THIGH. That is not an error, I said thigh. I am responding to your “Port placement in arm” because someone with severe access issue may look to this for help. In the 17 years I have had severe CIDP, I have had 12 Ports, 6 jugular lines (not a port running through jugular) and 17 PICC lines. I can’t put a port in my arms because of all the PICC’s I had years ago and the occlusions left behind. When my 11th Port stopped working in December, even my specialized Vascular surgeon could find no place for a new one. Because I will die without central line access for treatment, it was decided I would be one of a handful of people in the world that has a port in their leg. My port sits in the middle of my thigh, runs in my femoral line 27 inches to my heart. It isn’t pretty and has a higher risk of forming clots or getting infected, but it is keeping me alive by letting me receive treatment.

edith
    Participant

Thank you for responding
    My daughter is only 13 and she has autonomic and central nervous system involvement because she has intracranial hypertension
    She got down to below the 1% in weight before the IVIG started enabling her to eat again so I never fail to be annoyed when I read that CIDP doesn’t affect life expectancy …how can it not?
    Knowing what you know now would there be a certain order of port placement you would choose? That is would you start lower on the arms and then work your way up, the to the chest ?

cer100
    Participant

interesting. Im back researching ports as my veins are pretty much shot and temp vascath for 10 days of PlEx has left me with infections a couple of times.

Jim-LA
    Participant
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.