Physical Therapy 2 years later…anybody?

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 2:02 pm

I had home care and physcial therapy 2 years ago when first diagnosed. Since I am a Physical Education Teacher I have a knowlege of exercise and muscle tone. I was very faithful to my “homework” suggested by the therapist for over a year. Kept a daily log at the suggestion of a friend. When I would think that 5 minutes on a treadmill was pointless when I had walked 2 miles a day, 5 days a week pre-GBS I found the journal to be quite helpful. Months later, as I compared entries, I was logging in 20 minutes at a much faster pace. Definite progress.
      A family illness became my cause and I later found my life consumed with caring for my dying father. I stopped my home exercises completely and hadn’t been to the therapist in some time.

I recently had minor, out-patient surgery and it has taken weeks to get back on my feet. I’m once again, feeling the dreaded residuals. The fatigue factor has always been there, but weaknees, weight loss, lack of muscle tone and strength are gone.
      My primary care Dr. suggested going back to physical therapy and I have no problem with that. Except for the time and expence. I am working very hard at keeping up with my part time teaching position and really don’t want to give it up. Most days, it’s the best mental therapy I can get.

Has anyone else gone back to physical therapy long after the original ‘recovery’ (I use that term loosely)? If so, I love to hear your thougts on how effective it was.

Thanks for listening,
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 8:23 am

I was in physical therapy from November 1999-December 2000 although GBS onset was December 1998. Did not receive pt until a year after onset because the head of pt unilaterialy made the decision I would never walk again–she was incorrect.

Wemt to a new apartment in December 2000 and all went went well until September 2001 when severe depression hit. Started pt again in March 2004 after a broken ankle and it did not go well.

Began pt again in December 2004 after further ankle surgery and it went very well, probably because doctors and hospital have greatly improved (am now going to Rusk Institute, part of NYU Medical Center).

Another family problem hit in 2005 and went for short-term pt. Am now in cardoo-pulmomary pt at Rusk and I am very happy. This is a one-on-one program where I wear a heart monitor, blood pressure and oxygen checked every 15 minutes. There is more emphasis on pt, less on ot, and I AM VERY PLEASED WITH PROGRAM.

One of the obstacles for me is lung problems tire me out easily and I need to be monitored very regularly. The Rusk people evaluation and work have really helped me motivate.

Fortunately, Medicare is fairly generous with benefits because they have determined that heart problems require a longer pt program than does GBS. In any event, I am working as hard as I can and feel much more positive.

Regrads,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 8:28 pm

i joined curves to keep up with my own p.t. program. i have an h.m.o. for insurance and if i go to ANY health club and log in 120 visits in a year, they reimburse me $120.00. i pay $29.00 per month and they automatically bill my credit card. i feel a difference in my stregnth if i don’t go for my excercise. the weakness sets in quickly. i feel it really helps. try to continue some kind of p.t. or exercise routine if you can.
      stay strong!!!!!!!
      deb

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2006 at 12:57 pm

I think the best thing that helps me is just doing some stretching. I am still in a wheelchair at almost two years after onset. My insurance decided that after a year I should be up running a marathon, that’s just not the case. I do everything by myself and do not want any help from insurance. Take care.

Steven

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2006 at 8:29 pm

I promised myself after the first round of PT that I would never stop. I realized it was helping…that was then.

I have had my assessment and was discouraged to find how weak the muscles are, but I knew that.
      Tomorrow I start back at it and am ready and willing.
      I think we all need to stay as physcical as possible. Obviously some are more limited than others, but playing such an active roll in our physical health and recovery seems to spill over into a healthier mental state.

Marge, seems like you have had quite a time finding the right care. Glad to hear you are getting what you need now. Thanks again for your responce, sort of put things in perspective.

JayDee

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2006 at 6:41 am

Thanks, JayDee. I am constantly surprised by the mind-body connection.

Cheers for all of us,
      Marge

• November 3, 2006 at 8:34 am

I had GBS in 2002 and started going to PT in 2005 because of back problems. It really helped. I went 3 times a week for about a year. Now I go to water aerobics twice a week.