One Year Ago Today…

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 5:02 pm

[I]I put this on the child’s forum, but I know that there are many of you out there that I have communicated with that use this forum much more…so here you go[/I]!

It was a year ago today that I got the call from Abby’s preschool that she was falling. It is odd thinking back to that day…and the following month of hospitalization. Just an update on her, she walks with forearm crutches. She contineus to do traditional pt once a week, and Hippo therapy (horseback riding with a pt) once a week. She is back in preschool, and loves it. Her spirit isn’t broke, although sometimes mine is! She continues to amaze me. At three years old, she rode a two wheel bike, I just wish that we could somehow figure out a way to get her riding a bike again. She uses a tag-along (it attaches to an adult bike, and she peddles it as well), but to have her ride indepdently would be awesome. She is totally indepdent from us, she bathes, goes outside, gets up and down the stairs, just everything by herself…she just turned 5. She has the fight in her, which is great.

The prognosis isn’t the best. The doctors (there are many of them) do not believe that she will recover fully. Her left leg has not made any improvement, okay maybe a teensy tiny bit, and her right leg is at about 60-70%. There is a chance she may walk indepedently (she doesn’t use crutches at home at all), but it will not be a normal walk. She will lead a great life, although being 5 and knowing that you won’t run, jump or skip like your friends isn’t easy. She has taken an interest in sign langugage, after seeing kids at pt use it, and became obsessed. I thought this was a fleeting thing, however it continued and I have a college student teaching her now. She loves it, and I can say that she is pretty good at it!

That is our year in a two paragraphs. I have spoke to many of you, through email or on the phone, and I thank all of you for your thoughts and answers. My prayers are with all of you who also need them
      Mary

• September 27, 2007 at 9:18 pm

Hi Mary,
      I am happy that the story is progressing. I understand your pain regarding watching your child not being able to do all of the things she could. I feel that way when I watch Kevin struggling to be like his friends. It is really hard for me, but I try to focus and be thankful for how lucky we are compared to others. Kevin is ten, and a big obstacle is the emotional stress of the ups and downs associated with this condition. I am really working on trying to figure this portion of the illness out. Both for Kevie and myself.

I wish you well in your continued journey, and I will pray for your family so that God gives you all stregnth!

Sincerely,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 11:45 pm

mary,

never give up hope. i did not start the good part of my recovery till month 26. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 11:58 pm

I agree with Gene, I think it is still to early to tell how much recovery she will make. Many adults with GBS take two years or more before they quit getting better. Nerves can be so strange in the way they are able to rejuvenate. Also, she has the youth factor on her side. I think she is doing extremely well, so independent; I know many “healthy” 5 year olds who do not do all of that for themselves!

I know how you worry for the future… I raised a son who is now 26 & was paralyzed from the waist down from birth due to spina bifida. He still walks with crutches & leg AFOs, but uses a wheelchair to get around for longer distances. It did break our heart when he was born, to have one son able to do everything & one who never would. But he is happy & chose a profession where he could be an athlete vicariously (sports writing.) He has told me that he never missed what he could not do, as he never knew what it was like to ever do those things. I can now understand what he meant, as after 5 years I can’t remember what it was like to run or jump either. Strange how the mind works & forgets…

I wish your daughter a wonderful recovery, don’t give up hope after only one year!Pam

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2007 at 8:29 am

Hi Mary, I’ve been thinking alot about you 2 lately, every time I pass the hospital:) It sounds like Abby is really very independant, and has a strong will. Thats awesome that she is able to do hippotherapy, that will do wonders for the core-which is what she really needs to be able to walk in the future. Like Gene says, never give up, she will be running and skipping soon. Nerves in kids regenerate faster then adults, the hope is there. Please give Abby a Big Hug for me:)

Have you tried the MDA for a bicycle for Abby? or The MS association? They have everything you can imagine available for kids with special needs.I’ll look for the note I had wrote just for you regarding bicycles, its only been about a month ago that I came across the information-as usual I have misplaced it.:o
      Take care, Keep in touch:)

One Year Ago Today…

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2007 at 5:01 pm

It was a year ago today that I got the call from Abby’s preschool that she was falling. It is odd thinking back to that day…and the following month of hospitalization. Just an update on her, she walks with forearm crutches. She contineus to do traditional pt once a week, and Hippo therapy (horseback riding with a pt) once a week. She is back in preschool, and loves it. Her spirit isn’t broke, although sometimes mine is! She continues to amaze me. At three years old, she rode a two wheel bike, I just wish that we could somehow figure out a way to get her riding a bike again. She uses a tag-along (it attaches to an adult bike, and she peddles it as well), but to have her ride indepdently would be awesome. She is totally indepdent from us, she bathes, goes outside, gets up and down the stairs, just everything by herself…she just turned 5. She has the fight in her, which is great.

The prognosis isn’t the best. The doctors (there are many of them) do not believe that she will recover fully. Her left leg has not made any improvement, okay maybe a teensy tiny bit, and her right leg is at about 60-70%. There is a chance she may walk indepedently (she doesn’t use crutches at home at all), but it will not be a normal walk. She will lead a great life, although being 5 and knowing that you won’t run, jump or skip like your friends isn’t easy. She has taken an interest in sign langugage, after seeing kids at pt use it, and became obsessed. I thought this was a fleeting thing, however it continued and I have a college student teaching her now. She loves it, and I can say that she is pretty good at it!

That is our year in a two paragraphs. I have spoke to many of you, through email or on the phone, and I thank all of you for your thoughts and answers. My prayers are with all of you who also need them
      Mary

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Thanks for updating us on Abby. Prognosis is a fancy word for “guess”. No one, not even the docs or therapists, can know how a body will heal. I thought I’d never run again but just the other day I did a pretty good lope:D and it’s been 12.5 yrs. Childrens bodies have a greater chance of good recovery because they don’t have the years of abuse (lack of sleep, poor diet, no exercise, etc) that adults have. Just keep looking forward leaving the “nay sayers” in the dust!

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Judy. Just today Abby astounded her therapist by getting up off the floor without any aid. It isn’t pretty, as she hyperextends her knees, but she does it and is very proud of herself. Just a month ago, the therapists were all working together to figure out a way for her to get up without using a chair or such. They figured out a way for her to get up with her forearm crutch, but now she doesn’t even need that! She is absolutely amazing, she never ceases to make me so proud!
      Mary

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Hi and thanks for the update on Abby! I wanted to encourage you that my daughter too had GBS at age 4 1/2 (she is now 7). She was in preschool and it is funny, she was tripping on her feet a bit in children’s church the evening before but we really didn’t think too much about it until the next day when she said her tummy hurt (which is what actually prompted us to take her to the dr.). The Dr. couldn’t find her reflexes and admitted her to the hospital and with in 24 hours she was fully paralyzed.
      It has been just over 2 years and she is walking, running, playing, and even dancing! The dr. was not real hopeful that she would make a full recovery because of nerve damage. She still struggles with “bad days” but she is still making progress in therapy! I am going to pray for your family. I know God can heal Abby beyond what the Dr. would think is possible but I also know sometimes God doesn’t work just the way we think He “should” but He gives us the strength and courage to face our challenges in life. It sounds like Abby is a real fighter!

Take care!
      ~Amy

One year ago today

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 2:21 pm

I was in the ICU fighting to breathe wondering if I would ever be able to see or move again. I’ve come a long way since then and still have farther to go but if you had told me a year ago I would be able to sit at the computer see and type a message I’m not sure I would have believed you. I’m wondering what I will be able to do on this date next year but I am trying to be happy with my progress as it is. Sometimes it’s really hard for me to not get depressed about how much my life has changed but it does help to come back here and realize I’m not alone in this struggle anymore that there are people who are going through worse than I am and people who have gotten much better.

As I frequently say to my husband – life isn’t fair, if it was fair it would mean I deserved this disease. 😉

Julie

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 3:03 pm

[COLOR=red]Julie[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000]We have something in common about today, cool. I hope you are doing betterone year later.[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Julie

With the Grace of God, you’ll be better one year from now…keep your spirits
      high and think positively.

Good luck to you…

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Thank you both, I’ve been really depressed today so it was nice to come back and read your kind words.

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Julie,

I had no idea it was a year ago that all this started. I am thinking about you as I know how hard it is to be positive.

• August 10, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Hi Julie, best wishes for your continued progress. It will be one year August 14th for Kevie.

Dawn Kevies mom 😮

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Anniversaries of life changing events are difficult . . . I wish you “well” and send you hugs 🙂

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 10:06 pm

I just saw this I hope you continue to get better, my wife has so much destruction caused by the GBS & CIDP. She could never get much better, she only reached a certain point & never fully got where she could do very much. I had hopes that she would get more back to normal, but it just was not to be. I wish you the best !

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 12:29 am

It’s good to acknowledge how far you’ve come in a year. Yes, in one more year, things will be better. A lot can happen in such a little time. It might not seem like much, but a little progress and healing, is really a lot of progress and healing.
      Best of luck to you! Thanks for sharing how far you’ve come along!

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 8:52 am

Thank you all for the encouragement – right now I’m so exhausted it’s hard to remember how well I felt a week ago. Oh well, the ups and downs, more downs than ups lately but it’s not always that way. Thank you again.