One Day at a Time

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I was diagnosed 2 years ago, during my senior year of college, with CIDP after living in Europe for a summer. It started with my hands and progressively moved through my body. In 16 days I went from a Division 1 lacrosse player to lying in a hospital bed only able to move my head from side to side. I was in shock and did not how to face this adversity. I kept thinking “why me?” I was emotionally numb and scared that I would not live much longer.

I was not able to do a lot of the things a senior in college partakes in, however the one activity that affected me the most was the inability to work out.  I began to put on weight, my academics began to drop, and I had a feeling I was beginning to become depressed. Some days were better than others but my peers did not understand what was wrong because I looked “healthy.” I had to overcome not only the traditional things a senior graduating goes through, but also the adversity of not being healthy. It took a toll on my psyche but I made it my goal to not let this disease run my life.

I was treated with both Prednisone and IVIG in different time intervals until I found one where my symptoms were gone.  I had to make many changes in my life from my diet to my desired career choice. 25 months into this whole ordeal I am self proclaiming myself healthy. I still go through the tingles and fatigue every once in a while, but for the most part I am doing great.

It took me lots of discipline and will power to make it to where I am today. I work out almost everyday with weights and run a few days a week. I am so thankful for this situation because it put so many things in perspective. I went through some rough times, but took away a lot of lessons. The most important to me is to live One Day at a Time.

• GH
      October 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

That’s a good attitude. Coming back from near-total paralysis does put things in a different perspective. Best wishes for a healthy and happy future.