Numb tongue as residual?

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

Yesterday, my tongue went numb briefly. I have not had this happen since the beginning, when I had a numb tongue and even muscle twitches in my tongue. Is this a normal residual? I have also had more tingling in my fingers, etc. lately. I have been working pretty hard in the evening packing for my vacation and not getting enough sleep. I am hoping that this is just a ramping up of the residuals. Does this sound “normal” (ha,ha) or do I need to be worried about this?

• July 23, 2010 at 10:21 am

my hands can get to a point where i can ignore them when I am distracted. it is usually during a time when they are resting. more activity bring out more numbness, pain and aches.

I feel it in my teeth sometimes, certainly the tongue is no different

• Anonymous
      July 24, 2010 at 6:16 pm

It’s been years. On the other hand, I never had GBS.

I did experience brief, random and very rare episodes of ‘tingling’, similar to a light numbness, on my tongue. It really scared me.

Additionally, I used to choke on food or pills when swallowing. Say, for example, something the size of one aspirin.

I was treated on an in and out-patient basis in the hospital for foreign body removal from my esophagus. None of these were life threatening emergencies. I could always breath and talk, yet not be able to swallow. Not even salivia.

Thank goodness, those symptoms apparently resolved, at least they went into remission, on their own without any re-occurrence since that time. It was the 1980’s. 1981 to 1984, as I recall.

Your question reminds me of the neurologist who said “I don’t know what you have. There is nothing else on this form for me to check so I’m going to check ALS.” I never went back to see him, awards on his wall or not.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I have experienced tongue numbness as well as other facial numbness. It has never be just a brief period though. I will keep you in my prayers.
      Pat G