Non-linear recovery

• June 28, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Hello,

A family member has been in an in-patient rehab center for a few weeks now, and his diagnosis is GBS (he currently cannot walk or stand). He seemed to become stronger each day for the first week or two of PT, but this week, after a few days of less-than-terrific therapy sessions, he thinks he’s backsliding. Can anyone here tell me whether they’ve experienced any ebb and flow in their recovery or the recovery of a loved one?

Thank you.

• June 29, 2017 at 12:34 am

Recovery from GBS is irregular, erratic, and unpredictable. Each of us is affected differently by this disease. Many think it has to do with the vast differences between the experiences of our immune systems.

Treatment is critical to this disease and without it, the disease can do unwanted permanent damage. I hope your family member is on IVIg or Plasma Exchange, not just simple PT. Better, in my opinion, a combination of the three.

• June 29, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, Jim. My family member received five plasma exchanges a few weeks ago and was moved to a rehab center shortly thereafter. He’s receiving intensive PT and OT, but to my knowledge no one has suggested additional plasma exchanges or IVig.

I appreciate your response and will relay it to him.

• GH
      June 29, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Overexertion during recovery can cause a temporary setback.

• July 8, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Hello Blammo, like Jim said everybody is different, I got GBS in nov. 2016 they give me 13 plasmapheresis at uci i did started very slow with d results but after the 4th mth i got fast little improvements, now after 8 mths d improvements slow down and the neurologist recommended more transfusions of plasma (plasmapheresis) to re-enforce my immune system. I hope he get improvements faster.
      Sincerely yours
      xochitl cortes