new brand IVIG

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2010 at 7:40 am

I just got switched to gammagard from octigam. At first I thought it was wonderful because the during infusion side effects was a bit of headache and a little emotional funk.
      Octigam had consistantly been headache body aches and moderate emotional funk , weakness and nausea.

Both products gave me night time fever.

But what I’m not liking abt gammagard after 2 infusions is intense post pain, that initially is only dampened by pain meds, then lasts for days, and tremors.

In two weeks my life has gone from pretty decent to pretty challenging again. I don’t like it.

anyone have similar experiences and have it lift? Or not? Please give me feedback…..

Thanks,
      Erin

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Erin my husband was on gammaguard for a few months–no problems and he liked it. The blood bank switched to Provigen as they couldn’t get the Gammaguard and he is doing fine on that too. It’s hard to sort out medication side effects from a flare up of the CIDP. Thinking back he may have had some tremors with the Gammaguard, but they subsided. No pain at all though.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2010 at 12:33 am

Erin, IVIG is IVIG, what differs between brands are the preservatives used and the type (maltose, vs dextrose vs sucrose, etc.).

You might want to look up Octagam at their website and see what is different about it (or call your infusion nurse), it may be you need to try something else, or go back to what you were on. Usually though, 3 months is a fair trial for an agent before making a change.

I have side effects regardless of brand, it just depends how bad they are with which brand.

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Octigam had controlled livable side effects. No complaints abt that. Gammagard is what is creating a hornet’s nest. Two infusions over two weeks. Incredible pain after the first, stopped after a couple of days. Pain has not stopped since second infusion, it’s been 8 days.

Sent an email to dr saying no more gammagard.

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Right, what I am saying is that Octagam may have fewer preservatives or different preservatives that you tolerate better than the Gammagard preservatives.

Hopefully, you will get to change back. Sometimes it is insurance driven, sometimes just what is available. It shouldn’t be like that and my infusion center NEVER changes anyone without a plan ahead of time….but from what I hear it depends where you go and how “up” they are on the brands of IVIG.

Good luck, I hope your email works!!

• October 5, 2010 at 11:41 am

Gamunex is processed with amino acid, no sugar products. My doctor required brand specific because of this and insurance approved it. The hospital orders it in for me every three weeks. I’ve been on it nearly two years with good results and virtually no side effects. I get 100 grams every three weeks infused at a rate of 250. Gamunex was FDA approved for CIDP in September of 2008. You may want to research this as with going from a brand name drug to the same drug in generic form many times causes reactions and does not give the same result. The different compounds used to make a drug sometimes does not allow the body to absorb it the same way. Keep after them.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I can’t say enough good things about Gamunex. For the past six months I have been receiving infusions every two weeks. Currently, I receive 60g per infusion, at a maximum rate of up to 40g an hour, though we have never infused at more than 35g per hour; and we work up to that, starting at 10g per hour initially. There are little to no side effects other than a slight headache sometimes. It seems to help a lot with my CIDP. Ask for it by name.:D