Neurontin Dosage

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Last week when we went to Nates new Neuro, he said he was not taking nearly enough Neurontin to do an adequate job. He wanted to know why his old Neuro had him on such a low dosage.
      Its no surprise to me. His old Neuro just kept cancelling appointments instead of following up like he should have. He only had nate taking 900 mg a day.
      His new doc put him on 2400 a day. No orange capsules anymore, but light brown colored ones.
      What is the average dosage for most of you? Is Nates new dosage considered high?
      Trudy. natesmom

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 2:47 pm

I am not sure if there is a standard dose of Neurontin. I think it has to be a trial and error thing, take enough to control the pain and live a “normal” life.
      I take 1800 mg a day. The question that I have is does it matter when you take it? All at once, throughout the day or before bed? I take 2 pills three times at day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. What do other people do?

Rhonda 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Trudy, i was on 2100mg a day. until the last few days, i’ve started taking a high b supplement per my pcp, and have not needed the full amount due to less nerve pain. i just take 300, 300 and 900 at bed time. 2400 is not considered too high, 5600 is max per day. Hugs to Nate.:)

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Hi Trudy,

Frank was taking 3600 mgs a day. I think the highest you can go is 5600mg
      a day.

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 5:18 pm

His Neuro has him taking 2 400mg capsules 3 x a day. I just hope they get rid of some of his back pain, neck pain and headaches.
      He hurts lots of places but those places seem to be the worst for him.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Hi Trudy,

That’s a good start for now and if he needs a higher dosage the Neuro can up the dosage. Give it a about a week to kick in. Nate might get a little sleepy, but that subsides after his body gets use to the higher dosage. I am hoping this higher dose helps his pain.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2007 at 11:16 am

I take 3600mg a day (1200mg 3x a day), but everyones system is different and what their body can handle or need. What my neuro told me for dosage is this… Start at 300mg a day and take that for 1-2 weeks, then increase to 600mg and take that for 1-2 weeks. If pain does not go away then increase by 300mg every 3-4 days giving it time for your body to adjust to the new dosage. When increasing dosages the primary issue is that it will make you tired but if your body can handle the higher dosage then the tiredness will diminish after 3-4 days at which time its ok to increase by another 300mg. Continue to increase the dosage until the pain has disappeared or is at a tolerable level, if you hit a point where the tiredness does not wear off after 3-4 days or other symptoms appear and do not disappear after 3-4 days then you have reached the maximum your body will allow and you should drop back down by 300mg and level off there.

This is how i found my optimal dosage, hope this helps you out.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2007 at 4:59 pm

[COLOR=”SeaGreen”][B]I take a total of 2400 mg per day through 4 doses, each at 600 mg 6 hours apart.. I gradually worked up to this dosage. I can definitely tell when I’ve forgotten my dose as my hands get numb and tingly real quick.

Neurontin starts working in your blood stream fairly quickly, I’ve been told….about 20 minutes and it’s efficacy starts to diminish after about 4 to 5 hours. It’s different for everyone so trial and error will guide you best.[/B][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Hi Natesmom, I was just woundering how old is Nate?

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2007 at 12:40 am

Nate was 30 just last month. He was 28 when he got sick.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 12:42 am

HI,
      I take 3600mg of neurotin a day. there are times I forget to take my dosage
      (seems like I am forever taking meds) and my body always tells me when I have forgotten. On occasions when I know I will be doing extra activites, I usually take an extra pill or two spaced out during the day. If I do miss or am late in taking a dose it takes my body a while to recover.
      I went to a foot doctor a few months ago and he put me on a medical grade of Vitamin B. I find this has helped me with the pain and numbness in my feet.
      I get fustrated with all the different doctors. I wish one would know it all !!
      Bonnie:cool: